• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marthawannabe1

My new husband and I were married in Las Vegas in November of 2000. I am planning on changing my name to his, but am worried about things getting mixed up as far as taxes go. Can I change my last name with the new year and not have trouble filing my taxes or should I wait until after filing my taxes and getting my return? Will filing under my married name and having my maiden name on my W-2's cause any problems in filing? We live in Massachusetts.

[Edited by marthawannabe1 on 12-30-2000 at 07:43 PM]

crager34

apples & oranges

Not sure why the name change would have any affect on the taxes issue. Prepare the forms from both angles...married and single. Which one would benefit you the most?

W

wowie

If I understand you correctly you are worried that you would have a problem filing under your married name with W2s in your maiden name. Yes, I personally experienced that. They will electronically check your SS# against the last name under which you are filing. If they are not the same then you will not get your refund. It doesn't hurt anything to file with your husband under your maiden name and next year file under your married name. I hope this answers your question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">