• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California - Economic fault much of a factor in division of property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

utilitarianne

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

I'm contemplating filing for divorce in the imminent future. While California is a no-fault jurisdiction, is my understanding correct that the courts here take into consideration economic fault during the property division/spousal support phase of the proceedings?

My salary is approximately 20% higher than his, and he is threatening to sue me for spousal support. Yet, over the past two years, my husband has withdrawn more than $20,000 from our savings and on numerous occasions has refused to deposit his paychecks to our joint accounts with no explanation/justification whatsoever.

Considering my situation, can I reasonably expect the courts here to deny his claim for spousal support? Your thoughts/observations would be much appreciated.What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

LdiJ

My advice is that you get yourself an attorney.

A 20% differntial generally isn't enough for spousal support to kick in...but your situation honestly seems to need an attorney.

utilitarianne

I hope you mean a divorce attorney, since I'm an attorney (corporate/tax) myself. As Family Law is not my specialty, I was hoping to get some color on certain questions while I interview potential counsel to help me resolve this mess.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but to anyone out there who questions whether they would benefit from an experienced family law attorney to assist them during the divorce process: yes. Not just any attorney, but one who specializes in divorce law. Three years in law school & bar admission alone do not count.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You do not have a long term marriage. Most courts will not award spousal support for a short term marriage. I will not say it has NEVER happened but spousal support is normally awarded only in long term marriages (those that run longer than 10 years).

Bali Hai

utilitarianne said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

I'm contemplating filing for divorce in the imminent future. While California is a no-fault jurisdiction, is my understanding correct that the courts here take into consideration economic fault during the property division/spousal support phase of the proceedings?

My salary is approximately 20% higher than his, and he is threatening to sue me for spousal support. Yet, over the past two years, my husband has withdrawn more than $20,000 from our savings and on numerous occasions has refused to deposit his paychecks to our joint accounts with no explanation/justification whatsoever.

Considering my situation, can I reasonably expect the courts here to deny his claim for spousal support? Your thoughts/observations would be much appreciated.What is the name of your state?
Assuming you make $100k and he makes $80k, the court COULD award him alimony 10K for every year you were married. Did he perform services rendered such as cooking and cleaning or any other homemaking activity?

100k - 80k= 20K, 20k/2=10k per year to equalize the earnings. 4 years * 10k= $40k

If you can prove wasteful dissipation of marital assets you could ask the judge to reduce the $40k you might owe by $20k which is what you say he pilfered out of the joint account.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Bali Hai said:
Assuming you make $100k and he makes $80k, the court COULD award him alimony 10K for every year you were married. Did he perform services rendered such as cooking and cleaning or any other homemaking activity?

100k - 80k= 20K, 20k/2=10k per year to equalize the earnings. 4 years * 10k= $40k

If you can prove wasteful dissipation of marital assets you could ask the judge to reduce the $40k you might owe by $20k which is what you say he pilfered out of the joint account.
Bali he did not PILFER any money. It was a joint account and he was entitled to it as much as she was. With a joint account he didn't need her permission. She could have had her own account during the marriage where she put her money she didn't want him to touch.

LdiJ

Plus, as has already been pointed out, its a short term marriage AND there is only a 20% income differential, both of which makes an alimony award very unlikely.

Bali Hai

Ohiogal said:
Bali he did not PILFER any money. It was a joint account and he was entitled to it as much as she was. With a joint account he didn't need her permission. She could have had her own account during the marriage where she put her money she didn't want him to touch.
He took the money surreptitiously and didn't replace it. That's stealing in my dictionary.

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
Plus, as has already been pointed out, its a short term marriage AND there is only a 20% income differential, both of which makes an alimony award very unlikely.
Not guaranteed however. Won't she be surprised when the judge orders it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Bali Hai said:
He took the money surreptitiously and didn't replace it. That's stealing in my dictionary.
It was a JOINT account. That is not stealing according to the law.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
utilitarianne said:
I hope you mean a divorce attorney, since I'm an attorney (corporate/tax) myself. As Family Law is not my specialty, I was hoping to get some color on certain questions while I interview potential counsel to help me resolve this mess.
Well, this was a bit snippy. How is anyone supposed to know that you're an attorney of any sort?

utilitarianne said:
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but to anyone out there who questions whether they would benefit from an experienced family law attorney to assist them during the divorce process: yes. Not just any attorney, but one who specializes in divorce law. Three years in law school & bar admission alone do not count.
Well.... yeah.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">