• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! property splitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andy27

What is the name of your state? OR

My wife and I were married one year and then we bought a house. I was on the mortgage, but not the title due to a better interest rate. She cheated and left me once shortly there after. We got back together, but a year and a hlaf later she did the same thing and left the house. Now I am making the payments and we have agreed to sell it. She thinks she is entitled to more than 50% of what we make on the sale. I talked to a lawyer about 4 months ago who said it would be split 50-50 as maritial property. The house has a n offer and my wife is starting to fuss about the 50-50 thing. I didn't finalize the divorce proceeding because I didn't think the house would sell so fast. Could she get more than 50%? I have asked her to sign a letter saying she agrees to 50%, but would that hold in court? She did make more mortgage payments than me, but it was always the undersatdning that as soon as I finished school I would take them over. I did, and she left two months later. Any advice would be great as the offer is pending.

thanks in advance

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Its marital property bought during the marriage and hence you are each entitled to 50%. WOuld it hold up in court? A better idea would be to leave the proceeds in escrow UNTIL the court does the property division.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">