• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired from a tiling job - who's responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimbamike

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hired by a girl to put 300sq feet of tile in her condo. (2 baths and kitchen) No contract, verbal agreement. $5/sq foot for tile and $25/hr for all other labor. She paid me $500 upfront for materials and labor.

She was to be out of the country during the project and her father kept an eye on her property. I completed 30.5 hours worth of work - Which included about 200+ sq feet of the tile laying.

The father called me up 5 days into the project and said that he thought the tile looked off-line and instead of giving me a chance to view the project with him, to fix the problems, he fired me. Requested that I come gather my tools and be on my way. By the time I met him at the condo, the tile was already ripped up and HE took it upon himslef and hired someone else for the job.

He reqested the $500 back, which I declined because I did more than $500 worth of work to that point and because I wasn't given the opportunity to even discuss or fix the project.

The daughter is back in town. Left me a msg that she wants her $500 back and an additional $500 for materials wasted.

I'm sure they will try and take me to small claims court for this $1000 if not more and I just wanted to see what is really legal and how much pushing around they are trying to do.

Questions: 1) Does the fact that there was no contract come in to play? 2) What am I responsible for since a 3rd party did the firing and re-hiring on behalf of the daughter?
3) What is my case against them?

LindaP777

Did you do inferior work? Can they prove you did? Do they have pictures? Can you prove the work was done correctly?

kimbamike

I don't know about pictures. I don't know about inferioir work. I know I did my best, and have done other tile jobs (but none for commision before.) Some of tile that I layed was put down with mortar and others were cut but not put down permanently and wasn't complete. The dad (not the girl hiring me) said it wasn't good enough and fired me while she was out of town. Not sure of the relevance for that since he took it upon himself to act in her behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">