• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hearts4u59

What is the name of your state? mississippi
my son got a ticket in 2001 for expired tag,he never went to court in 2004 he got the clearance to get his license reinstated thru highway patrol,which he did so last week he got a letter saying there as a warrant for the old ticket that has never been turned in they say it can be held for up to 5 years is this so?there is still nothing on his dmv record pertaining to this or nething else he has a clear record thru this is there not a law saying how long they have to turn in a ticket?

hearts4u59 said:
What is the name of your state? mississippi
My son got a ticket in 2001 for expired tag. He never went to court. In 2004 he got the clearance to get his license reinstated thru highway patrol, which he did so last week. He got a letter saying there is a warrant for the old ticket that has never been turned in. They say it can be held for up to 5 years. Is this so? There is still nothing on his DMV record pertaining to this, or nothing else. He has a clear record thru this. Is there not a law saying how long they have to turn in a ticket?
I added punctuation so I could understand the post!

He cannot avoid the ticket and hope that it goes away. Since he has not paid the ticket a warrant has been issued for his arrest. All he has to do to resolve the issue and have the warrant cancelled is to pay the fine -- the sooner the better. If the warrant is served they can make his life miserable (until he pays the fine).

As morburkes stated, it does not show up on his driving record since he did not pay the fine. Paying the fine is admission of guilt. Since he has not yet paid the fine it's not on his record. As soon as he pays the fine the entire issue will be resolved.

PAY THE FINE! If you don't know the fine amount, call the clerk of courts in the jurisdiction mentioned in the warrant notice. They will tell you exactly how much to pay. There are probably additional fees tacked on since he has waited so long to take care of this ticket. They will often accept installments if you cannot pay the entire amount.

KTL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">