• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meaning of "Notwithstanding"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nolandleft

What is the name of your state? Mass

I am fighting a ticket i got for speeding. My defence is based on the Officers improperly giving me the ticket. He clear violated. Chapter 90C: Section 2. of the MGL.

"Notwithstanding the provisions of any general or special law, other than a provision of this chapter, to the contrary, any police officer assigned to traffic enforcement duty shall, whether or not the offense occurs within his presence, record the occurrence of automobile law violations upon a citation..."

My question is about the phase "Notwithstanding the provisions of any general or special law" I have read much on the internet and i believe that it means in this context, that no other law can overright this law (Chapter 90C: Section 2). Or in other words this is the only law to be followed when issueing a citation. All i want to know is if my assumtions are correct or not please help out.

efflandt

It is basically saying that nothing can contradict what it says, except what is in that chapter. It does not say that there cannot be other or additional laws that may apply that are not mentioned there, as long as they do not contradict it.

Since you failed to say what you think was done improperly, it is impossible for anyone to tell whether it was or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">