• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PCS & OWI charge - chances of dropping charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qqatsi

What is the name of your state? IOWA

I was pulled over for driving without tail lights working. The officer smelled alcohol and I blew .121. While I was in the squad car, the police found a tracable amount of marijuana and drug paraphenalia in my trunk. I wasn't notified of this until I was being booked at the county jail. It was found in my backpack. I told the police that the marijuana was not mine.
I have a clean criminal record, and was cooperative with police. I am worried about the PCS charge going on my record, mainly when applying for employment, etc.
What's the chance of my PCS charge being dismissed, in conjunction of getting a deferred judgement on the OWI charge? My lawyer says 50/50 depending on the prosecutor & judge.
So it seems I'm hoping for a lenient judge? Anything I should tell the judge to get him to drop the PCS charge, if possible? I am willing to do a ton of community service or drug counseling if that would help get it dropped.
I am considering teaching English overseas, and worried that this will affect that. Most employers in Europe, Japan specifically say that a clean criminal history is required. Should I not infrom them of these charges, since they are not felonies?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">