• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To tell or not to tell....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scared Sick

I have recently been diagnosed with HIV. I'm healthy but the medication I take makes me sick to my stomach and I have had to miss work a lot because of this.

So my questions is this: Should I tell my employer about my HIV status or do I have to disclose that to them?

I don't know quite what to do...if I do tell them I don't want to alarm anyone, but I do want them to understand that my attendance problem has been out of my control.

Thanks - S.S.

B

buddy2bear

"Forewarned is forearmed." Many states have discrimination laws to protect HIV employees. I would suggest that you contact your state's human rights department and/or an HIV support organization and check into all of the legal implications BEFORE you tell your employer. Even though HIV is better understood now than years ago, employers still "spaz out" about it. Know your rights before revealing anything. Also read the Family and Medical Leave Act closely because you can use this when you get sick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">