• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!Im 16 and married who has custody of me? My husband or my parents.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biancaluvzjosh

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
:confused:
I was told in the state of tennessee even if your parents sign for you to get married you are still in their custody?? I thought when they sign at the courts for you to get married they were signing over custody to your husband, which is 19. We have a child together. A caseworker told me that an attorney told her that..... There is a new emansapation(miss sp.) law in tennessee, is what he told her...

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

biancaluvzjosh said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee
:confused:
I was told in the state of tennessee even if your parents sign for you to get married you are still in their custody?? I thought when they sign at the courts for you to get married they were signing over custody to your husband, which is 19. We have a child together. A caseworker told me that an attorney told her that.....
Tell your caseworker she/he is a flaming idiot.

Once you are married, you are in NO ONE'S custody (unless you are arrested, but that's another story).

You are emancipated in the State of Tennessee and your own person under your own custody.

biancaluvzjosh

BelizeBreeze said:
Tell your caseworker she/he is a flaming idiot.

Once you are married, you are in NO ONE'S custody (unless you are arrested, but that's another story).

You are emancipated in the State of Tennessee and your own person under your own custody.
He told her there is a new emansapation law in tennessee..he said you cant get emansapated in tennessee

biancaluvzjosh

Ohiogal said:
Oh come on BB, bianca loves josh ... isn't that all that matters?
OP, READ THE INFO BB GAVE YOU!
I know I read that but the attorney said it changed not to long ago....and the reason im so concerned is b/c i have an abusive mother that now wants me to come back home and if i go back home im not taking my newborn baby in a house like that!! I just want to know what has changed!!!!!

biancaluvzjosh

BelizeBreeze said:
I never said there was. Read the state attorney general's opinion issued in 2002.
I know but he said that recently changed.....which i dont understand because i thought they were signing over custody when they signed for me to get married!!! IDK???????

fairisfair

BelizeBreeze said:
I never said there was. Read the state attorney general's opinion issued in 2002.
I did read it. And I am not arguing with you ( never would) it just seems that the opinion only relates to mandatory school attendance issues, not true emancipation. Teach us BB!!! :confused:

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fact that your caseworker said it recently changed, does not make it true.

Ask him to show you the law.

Gotalife

What they told my daughter...

I've been wondering about the emancipation issue in TN too. For what it's worth, my 16-year-old daughter just had a baby. The doctors are all saying that she is emancipated because of the baby. Under HIPPA they're not supposed to release any health info to me and she signed her medical release forms. However, in TN she is required to attend school until age 18 and I think I can still be held responsible if she doesn't go...kind of a double standard.

D

daddylonglegs

the only thing having a baby makes your daughter is a teen mother

Gotalife said:
I've been wondering about the emancipation issue in TN too. For what it's worth, my 16-year-old daughter just had a baby. The doctors are all saying that she is emancipated because of the baby. Under HIPPA they're not supposed to release any health info to me and she signed her medical release forms. However, in TN she is required to attend school until age 18 and I think I can still be held responsible if she doesn't go...kind of a double standard.
the doctors who told you that dont know what theyre talking about. your daughter having a baby does not make her emancipated. you are still legally responsible for her and her actions untill shes 18.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">