• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination piercings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pjs

What is the name of your state? CA
I have my nose pierced with a small stud, which I had at the time I was hired over 5 years ago. There is other several other people in the company with facial piercing(s) as well. My employer sent out an email last week stating, “be advised that facial piercing(s) are not allowed while working or representing our company. Customers do visit our premises and employees here are expected to present themselves professionally at all times. The ornamentation is not considered professional attire by many and also in many cases, to our clientele. Those working in the field are also representing our company and can interact with clients or potential customers. We therefore do not allow facial piercing regardless of the department area/field site in which an employee may work” My problem with this is that there is no mention of tattoos. We have quite a few employees with tattoos, including managers. A couple of these people has tattoos on their neck and interacts with customers on a daily basis. I feel like employees with facial piearing (s) are being singled out. Any thoughts?What is the name of your state?

fairisfair

obviously, people with facial piercings ARE being singled out. So what?? The company has the right to make it's own rules about attire and the image that it's employees present. Just like a tattoo salon could decide to hire ONLY people with facial piercings and make them wear them to work. Sorry, but the pierced are not a protected class of workers. Take it out and get over it.

janimal

Over the years in HR I have had numerous calls from employees with nose piercings who complain about being asked to take them out. Some complain that they can't take it out as it is a new piercing. My suggestion is to purchase small round band-aids and cover the piercing - which in my experience has placated the managers who found the piercings offensive. Perhaps OP could consider that compromise - and let the people with tattoos worry about themselves.

Beth3

I feel like employees with facial piearing (s) are being singled out.

Of course they're being singled out - and there's absolutely nothing illegal about that. "People with facial piercings" are not a protected class. Many employers, particularly those whose employees deal with the public or clients, disallow such things.

Either take the stud out while you're at work or look for an opportunity elsewhere where the employer doesn't care about such things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">