• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Snoopping around my life

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bugdoug

What is the name of your state? ID

I was accused of sexual harassment in the office that I worked in as the Manager (Male) supervising a female in an office, we were the only too employees of this company in this office, I admitted that I said a few things that at the time did not seem wrong to me but as they were repeted back to me I see how I was wrong. The investigation is still going on now and somehow this person is telling the investigator that I was fired from another job for sexual harassment from someone that I am not aware of and I never told anyone that I ever worked there, I have never had this issue come up ever before anywhere I have worked but somehow someone is fabricating this information. What can I do?

Beth3

You can contact the investigator and tell him/her that you've heard via the grapevine that that an allegation regarding your former employment has been made and that it's not true. If there is anyone (prior boss, etc.) that the investigator can contact to verify the circumstances under which you left that job (e.g. you resigned for another job), then you can offer to provide that information.

Other than that however, you need to let the investigator do his or her job. If you did have a SH problem at another place of employment (although I believe you when you say you did not), then that is pertinent information for the investigator to have as it would demonstrate "continuing bad acts" and make the current complaint more credible.

BarbT

If in fact your investigator did for some reason contact a former employer. He/she does have the legal right to do so if in fact they believe any information the former employer may tell them will help their case. You have no recourse if the information is true. Even if you did not tell your employer or any co workers where you worked prior to your current employment, there are many ways they can find out. Keep in mind, former employers are permitted to respond to specific questions directed at a former employees. As long as their answers are direct and truthful. Your employer has every right to dive in to your personal work backround if they have a good cause. They are employing you and they want to be sure you are able to be trusted and this relieves them from possible liabilities in the future.

Last edited:

mitousmom

I doubt that your employer is going to allow an investigator to contact your former employer during the middle of a sexual harassment investigation and ask whether such accusations arose about you during your employment with them. It would be really dumb. Your current employer couldn't act on the information and it can create rather serious liability issues if it is discovered that you engaged in such behavior previously about which your employer would have known had it done an adequate background check. I also doubt that the former employer is going to acknowledge such accusations if it took no action about it.

bugdoug

Snooping around my life

The Sexual Harassment Investigator informed me that the information that he got was from the person that I harassed, and she got it from a friend who got it from another friend that works at the place I worked at over 10 months ago, I was never aware that I was fired because of that I thought I was fired because I infracted the privacy policy about a cliant, however I was only told I was being let go because "things are not working out and some things were said" and thats all I was told. So I am wondering if this information can be used from people that don't even know me or of me when I never disclosed that I ever worked at that place?

buckbill

This sounds like much third party information was received. What is the present status of the investigation? Are they permitting you to work while the investigation is taking place? Could this possibly be a vengeful act on the coworkers part? Or lets say "some sour grapes" or feelings toward you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">