• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scared of speeding ticket consequences in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whatagal

TEXAS. Four years ago I got a speeding ticket that I never paid. Is there a statute of limitations? I read somewhere that in my state speeding tickets are considered Class C misdemeanor offenses and have a 2 year sol. Is that true? My license has expired and I need a renewal, but I'm afraid they have my number and I may go to jail... :eek:What is the name of your state? TEXAS

whatagal said:
What is the name of your state? TEXAS.
Four years ago I got a speeding ticket that I never paid. Is there a statute of limitations? I read somewhere that in my state speeding tickets are considered Class C misdemeanor offenses and have a 2 year sol. Is that true? My license has expired and I need a renewal, but I'm afraid they have my number and I may go to jail... :eek:
This is very easy to fix. Get your checkbook out and pay all the fines. . . Most states simply suspend your driving privileges for failure to pay a fine.

It's odd that a law enforcement officer was not knocking on your door to physically retrieve your license. If a court appearance was required at the time of the ticket they may have also cited you for Failure to Appear (FTA). They may have also issued a bench warrant for your arrest.

If you are ready to pay the fine for the speeding citation, and any other fines associated with not paying the citation, plus any court costs, all you problems will go away. They will not issue you a license until you take care of the matter. If you make contact with the court first, to pay your fines, it is not likely you will serve any jail time. The courts are generally amenable to setting up an installment plan, if you cannot pay the entire fine immediately.

You cannot believe everything you read on the Internet. Technically there is no SOL. Once you failed to challenge or pay the ticket, the SOL clock for prosecution stopped. At this point you really have no alternative but to pay the fine(s).

KTL :D

The Occultist

Just to note: statute of limitations refers to the amount of time between committing the crime and getting charged for it. You were charged with the crime upon receipt of the ticket, so SoL cannot apply to this situation.

BelizeBreeze

whatagal said:
TEXAS. Four years ago I got a speeding ticket that I never paid. Is there a statute of limitations? I read somewhere that in my state speeding tickets are considered Class C misdemeanor offenses and have a 2 year sol. Is that true? My license has expired and I need a renewal, but I'm afraid they have my number and I may go to jail... :eek:What is the name of your state? TEXAS
you also forgot about the failure to appear that was issued when you didn't show up for court.:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">