• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my contractor put a lien on my apt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bill25

I live in NY city and was wondering if anyone knows what the process is for putting a lien on someone's apt and what is required for a contractor to do so. Our disaster of a contractor has threatened to do so, but has no signed contract from me for the actual work that he believes, wrongly, that he should get paid for. So I'm wondering what's required legally in order for him to do so.

Thanks!

HappyHusband

Bill25 said:
I live in NY city and was wondering if anyone knows what the process is for putting a lien on someone's apt and what is required for a contractor to do so. Our disaster of a contractor has threatened to do so, but has no signed contract from me for the actual work that he believes, wrongly, that he should get paid for. So I'm wondering what's required legally in order for him to do so.

Thanks!
The contractor can file a lien against your property if they perform work or provide materials for your property, and then you don't pay him for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">