• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP alcohol and marijuna

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Now what

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My son, his girlfriend and a friend were pulled over last night. My sons girlfriend and their friend were given MIP's alcohol but my sons girlfriend also got MIP of marijuana. This is her first time in trouble and we are trying to figure out what is going to happen. Does she need a lawyer? What could happen to her with 2 misdemeaner charges of MIP? She really is a good kid, just being stupid. Any advise would be really appreciated, she is suppose to appear in court within 10 days.

Thanks

lealea1005

she should speak to an attorney (there are some who do not charge for the first consultation). your state may have a diversion program for first offenders and it would be worth her effort to check it out.

good luck

Now what

Mip

She is afraid to tell her parents. She doesn't have that great a relationship with them. But does it really matter? I am just curious about what she needs to do, and what she needs to expect. She has never been in trouble before....she is 18 and is paying her own way through college AND she is working. We don't know what to expect and she is scared. I was hoping for some advise.

CdwJava

If she is 18 then she needs to seek a defense attorney. If she cannot afford one, an attorney will be appointed for her by the court.

Also, I am confused ... first, there is this:

"This is her first time in trouble ..."

Then comes this:

"What could happen to her with 2 misdemeaner charges of MIP?"

Are you anticipating another such offense in the future? Or is this the second time she has been caught?

I don't know about you, but had it been MY son caught with the alcohol and with a girlfriend with marijuana, he'd be in deep kimshee! If he were still a minor, he'd be forbidden to see her. If he were an adult living in my home he might have a tough decision to make: the girl (and, perhaps, some other friends) or room and board. Because, until I could trust his judgment and those of his friends, he would not be permitted to kick it with them.

What potential penalty she faces depends on the specific charge (code section) she has been charged with and what her priors are. Chances are she faces a fine and jail with a possible license suspension. There is also a good chance that diversion is possible. However, I am not all that familiar with MI law on the matter, so until a code section can be posted I can only hypothesize.

- Carl

Betty

Carl, when they say "What could happen to her with 2 misdemeanor charges of MIP" I believe they are talking about the 2 she got at the same time as per original post -- MIP alcohol & MIP marijuana.

CdwJava

Thanks for pointing that out.

Since marijuana possession does not generally have a "minor in possession" statute (since it is just plain unlawful) it was the term "MIP" that is confusing me.

Terminology is all important in the law. And the BEST way to determine possible penalty is to include specific statutes charged.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">