• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Service Job Rights or Violations of

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helbayar

What is the name of your state? NYS

I work as a NYS auditor. I receive many directives from my supervisor, most of which I disagree with since I I believe they are contra productive and without reasonable basis. As such, I feel harassed by them. Latest directive I received (this week alone, I received 3 directives), orders me among other things, not to mention in my official case audit log, any reference to instructions given to me by my supervisor which affects my auditing decisions , and not to mention my supervisor at all. It leaves me no formal channel to document any disagreement with instructions imposed on me by my supervisor, or mention why some audit decisions were made. I have been a state employee for over 21 years, this was not the issue before I was assigned to my current supervisor. I believe it's all part of management behaviour implemented to force me to quit. don't believe this is legal. Am I right?
Note: I have emailed my supervisor and the Office Manager of this, but yet to receive a response.
ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I know little to nothing about civil service jobs. I do know that what you describe does not meet the legal definition of harassment; nor does any statute prohibit an employer from trying to force an employee to quit.

mitousmom

How does your supervisor handle case processing disagreements with other subordinates?

Unless your supervisor's instructions are illegal, unethical, or violate agency rules and regulations, in most governmental/civil service employment, the subordinate must follow the supervisor's instructions, even if the subordinate disagrees.

An official case file is not the place to record supervisory/subordinate differences of opinion. If you are trying to establish a record showing that you disagreed with an instruction you were given, you can document that in a memo/email directly to your supervisor.

I caution you, however. Your supervisor is responsible for the work done by his/her employees. Giving you feedback, both oral and in writing that your work does not meet standards is not illegal harassment. You don't get to evaluate whether the instructions are productive or reasonable and pick the ones you will do. You are supposed to implement them.

If I understand the information you provided, you are new to this supervisor. Therefore, your working relationships with other supervisors over the last 21 years may not be germane to your working relationship with this supervisor. It's never a good idea to start a new supervisory/subordinate relationship by suggesting that you know more about how to do the work than your supervisor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">