• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slander/defamation/harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carmy43

What is the name of your state? Pa slander/defamation by 2 coworkers.I have had no contact with one for 6 months..the other for a year or better.I have filed harrassment charges with the company we work for and they will do an investgation.But I may not be satisfied with the results.The coworkers have also made their slanderous remarks to our vice president of our union who in turn notified the plant superintendant and called our international rep who INSISTS the company handle the problem.I am deeply embarrassed, hurt and humiliated by the slanderous talk about me and I have SEVERAL witnesses to prove their remarks false.Do I have any additional recourse against the 2 coworkers? I have 33 years with this company.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And what damages have you suffered as a result of the alleged slander?

carmy43

Well Andy...What the 2 coworkers said was that I have body odor.There are approx 60 employees in the mill I work in.News there spreads like wildfire..As I stated I have had several people including company people that cannot believe these 2 are so hurtful as to go to the union about this problem when it is a lie.There have been other problems with these two in the last year and I kept blowing it off and chalked it up to them being childish..I did have a meeting with the company today for a deposition(I filed harassment charges).I told them of the instances in the last year .And that I avoided being around them and the closest they have ever been to me is 6-8 feet away with other employees closer all of whom said this is a scam by these two to "get me".This lie was meant to hurt,embarrass and humiliate me and it worked.I am not sure when I will get an answer from the company on this but if they are not reprimanded(suspended or whatever) I want to persue other options if i can.

pattytx

You have no control over nor right to demand that these employees be reprimanded, disciplined or anything else. That is not your decision to make. And since I don't see anything illegal here, I don't see what you'd be "suing" for.

mitousmom

I'm missing something here.

How can your co-workers "get you" by saying that you have body odor? Is that a dischargeable offense?

Either you have body odor or you don't. It's hard to believe that the union is supporting your co-workers and pursuing this without something to go on. Most people who do have body odor don't know it and many of those around them who detect it, won't say anything. It could be that these two have very sensitive noses. My son can smell odors that I can't or he detects them at a much farther distance than I do.

I doubt that saying that you have body odor rises to the level of defamation and it certainly isn't harassment under the federal EEO statutes. I think you are over-reacting and if your co-workers' aim is to upset you, you are giving them a lot of satisfaction.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

carmy43 said:
Well Andy...What the 2 coworkers said was that I have body odor..
Then take a frikkin' bath.

Geeez, if you stink then you stink. Even if you don't stink to 1,000 people, you may stink to the 1,001st. This is nothing more than a matter of opinion and olafactory perception.

:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">