• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overlooked Twice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vmi1056

What is the name of your state? FL
I am writing this on behalf of my husband. Some background, my husband and I used to work for the same national company. I left since I could not stand the GM anymore and his demeaning swearing in a meeting once and obscene gestures etc., however, that is another story entirely.
My husband and I transferred from another location almost 4 years ago to FL and he took a lesser position in order for us to transfer to be closer to family. Within a year of us transferring, the position he previously held opened up and he was the only one that applied. I know this because I was the Office Manager at the time and we were just beginning to keep applicant tracking logs. A new hire of 3 months, who never applied was promoted into the position with no prior experience in that type of position. My husband was very disappointed since he was the only one that applied.

He found out a few months later, when all of a sudden they were looking for things to write him up about, that his current position had been promised to another employee by the GM and they were looking for reasons to try to get rid of him so they could bring this other person in. When my husband went to the GM to confront him about it, the GM even admitted it and apologized. My husband moved into Sales to try something different. A few months later, when meeting with the GM to discuss career objectives, he was told that in order to apply for a Sales Manager job, he had to have some experience and have or be close to having President's club numbers.
The Sales Manager position opened up as the most recent Sales Manager transferred. During this time, a friend of mine who works there, stopped by the GM's office and jokingly asked "when are you going to hire a new Sales Manager?". The gentleman that was promoted previously over my husband happened to be sitting there and replied "When he finds someone to fill my position".
When the Sales Manager position was posted about a month ago, my husband, who is one of the top 20 Salesmen in the region, applied. He was interviewed by the same GM.
The gentleman who was previously promoted over him also applied and was interviewed by the GM, along with 2 other Managers and is now being promoted into this position, even though he has never had any Sales Experience.
My husband who is bi-racial is beginning to wonder if he is being overlooked because he is bi-racial or if it is because he is not a part of the "good ol boys club" and doesn't adhere to the same unethical behaviors that the GM and the people he promotes adhere to.
It just seems awful strange that the same person, with no previous experience in either jobs is consistantly promoted over my husband who clearly is more qualified than the person they are promoting but not given the same opportunities (ie, not interviewed by more than just the GM).
Any suggestions on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated. There is an employee communication process, however, in the past, when things have been handled through this means of communication, it is generally pushed under the carpet before it gets to the Corporate office.

pattytx

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the fact that you husband is bi-racial MAY be a factor. However, has he gone to the GM and asked him what he has to do to get the next promotion?

vmi1056

Yes!

My husband has asked the GM and the Regional Sales Manager at the time what he needed to do to move to the next level which is Sales Manager.
He was told by both of them along with the Uniform Sales Manager at the time and another Sales Manager that in order to be promoted he would need to have some time in Sales and have Presiden'ts club numbers. He has been told on more than one occasion when meeting with the General Manager that this is what he needed in order to be promoted.
The guy they are promoting has never even held a Sales position in his career.

mitousmom

Do those making the promotion decisions know that your husband is bi-racial? Why do you or he think that could be a factor? Has the company promoted people of your husband's races; have members of those races held the positions your husband seeks?

If your husband is losing out to the same person and others are losing out to that person as well, my guess is that the successful candidate has connections. Or, could it be that the GM is aware of your opinion of him and the reasons you left and is holding that against your husband?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">