• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss is physically and mentally abusive...what to do???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am really getting tired of dealing with my boss and if the job market was better, I would quit today. But I can't. But I don't know what I can do.

My boss has been and continues to be mantally and phsically abusive to not only me, but to everyone in our group.

I work in the I.T. department of a very large corporation. We have 3 local sites here in Michigan and my boss is the I.S. Manager for all three sites. Everyone things he is the greatest. All the other managers and other employees think that he does a great job. Problem is, they don't have to work with him as closely as we do.

For the last 6 months or so I have been keeping a log of everything that he has done or said to me that I find either unprofessional, abusive or just plain wrong. I am up to 8 full pages and am adding this a couple times a week it seems. I won't list everything, and I don't even know if I should, but I will list a few of the "good" ones.

* In one of our weekly staff meetings, he got mad at another member of our department and slammed his notepad down and stormed out of the room saying __a bunch of f*cking idiots!_.

* He calls me (sounding slightly drunk) asking why I always have an attitude about doing extra work like I feel that the same rules don_t apply to me and says that he won_t stand for me coming off that I_m better than everyone else. That I don_t have to work weekends like the rest of the group.

He had told me earlier in the day that I needed to come in on Saturday because I am on call and there is some work to be done. I proceeded to ask him when and how long because I promised my mom that I would help her out with something. Not thinking that it would interfere with me being on call because I would be home and would be able to dial into the network if called with an issue. But I did not say that I would not come in, I just wanted to know a time frame so I could let my mom know. He had told me that he will let me know about an hour before I needed to be here. He called me around 9pm (as stated above) to discuss a time as well as to ridicule me

* Getting yelled at multiple times for my girlfiend calling me for 30 seconds or less to tell me she is out in the parking lot and ready to go to lunch with me. Even though I checked with HR and they said that was okay for her to do that.

* He was leaving for the day and while closing his door, I heard a noise. Jim then said _that was stupid_ followed by _just like you_. No one else was around but me and him.

* Because of his issues with my answering the phone for a split second when my girlfriend calls me to let me know she_s out in the parking lot waiting for me because we had lunch plans together; I have just been not answering when I see it_s her and then look out in the parking lot to verify that she is here before walking out. I did this and Jim told me I was _pu**y-whipped_ because I got up when she calls me.

* Throwing object at me (pennies, screws, rubber bands, 6 gauge wire, etc).

* While leaving his office for the day, he said to me _you suck_.

* I got into work at 1:55pm (2pm starting time) and as soon as Jim saw me he asked me if my phone was turned on. I said that I just turned it on. He sternly told me that it should have been on earlier_so I could have stopped and brought something in for him to eat.

* Once again he pulled me into his office and talked about wanting my thoughts on other team members. If I thoght they were doing their jobs, etc. Once again, he didn_t like my avoiding answering. He finally said that I _need to grow some_. And not to _he-haw_ around the answer.

* Me and him were walking down to the floor and one of the Technicians came up to me to tell me of a couple issues with computers on the floor. As he was telling me, I was walking next to him with my hands in my pockets. My boss then starts to sternly correct me and say that I shouldn_t walk with both hands in my pockets. That projects laziness and unprofessionalism. The technician started to chuckle and my boss looked at him with a straight and serious look saying that he wasn_t joking and that this was serious. He then proceeded to tell me that one hand in a pocket wasn_t so bad, but two is not. He also said how his is disappointed in me and that he is starting to think twice about his decision to move me to first shift soon.

Sorry about the length of these...I wanted to be as clear as possible. Today with getting in trouble for having my hands in my pockets was the last straw. I don't know what I can do. I don't know how much longer I can take this. The stress from him is already starting to effect my health. But I can't just quit because I won't be able to pay my bills. Especially with the job market the way it is.

Help!!!

mitousmom

It doesn't appear that he has violated any federal. His behavior is unprofessional, not illegal. You may want to complain to the Human Resources Office or to his superiors.

Beth3

What mitousmom said. Your boss may be a jerk but that's not illegal.

Your options are:

1. Do nothing
2. Complain to more senior management about his behavior and see if they choose to do something about it.
3. Start looking for a new job where the IT director behaves professionally and resign from this job when you have accepted another offer.

xylene

Option 4

Do shoddy work. (which reflects on him..)
Drag down morale. (same thing)
Do anything which reflects negatively on him

Hound for promotion and replace him.

At that point tell me thank you for the advice to grow a set.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Anything suggested in Option 4 could conceivably result in you, not he, getting fired; keep that in mind.

xylene

cbg said:
Anything suggested in Option 4 could conceivably result in you, not he, getting fired; keep that in mind.
And don't be under any illusions that doing options 1-3 are going to change you current situation and / or protect you from being fired.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Touchy, aren't we?

No, but the choices in option 4 are far more likely to result in the employee's being terminated than the choices in options 1-3.

xylene

cbg said:
Touchy, aren't we?

No, but the choices in option 4 are far more likely to result in the employee's being terminated than the choices in options 1-3.
Lobbying for promotion...

showing to superiors that your manager is inefective and that his inability to conduct himself like a human has an effect on morale and productivity...

Doing those things seem alot less likely to get you fired than beth's options

Option 1:

Do nothing
Yeah just wait to be ousted, work like a dog for this fartbag, and then get fired, not promoted.

Option 2

Complain to more senior management about his behavior and see if they choose to do something about it.
That will never get back to the manager. :rolleyes:
Nor will it earn you the reputation of a snitch with your peers and subordinates.
And of course a fair and predictable outcome will arise from it. :D

So many great paths to choose on option 2!!!

Option 3
3. Start looking for a new job where the IT director behaves professionally and resign from this job when you have accepted another offer
Yeah when the manager gets wind what happens. LIVING HELLand/or FIRED. When upper management gets wind... and they ALL will... your complaints are going to be forgotten.

Sorry If I happen to be a realist. Upper management is either blind or doesn't care.

Money and productivity do matter however...

Sorry "the i'll show them by working hard and being the best junior IT manager in world" trick DOES NOT work. Nor does the "Hold on one more day till I get a new job" trick.

Grow a set - oust this guy, quit, or get laid off... :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">