• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I plead the 5th??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsefert

Oregon.
I got pulled over for speeding. I didn't have auto insurance coverage at the moment.
The officer cited me for Speeding $145, Driving uninsured $242, and Failure to carry proof of insurance $242.
When I got home, I called an insurance company and got coverage. My insurance card states that my coverage began on the day that I was cited. I have pleaded not guilty, and have a trial scheduled.
Please tell me the best way to play my cards. I don't want the "driving unisured" conviction,
I don't want to piss off the judge. I have thought about presenting my insurance card as evidence, but I know that the judge would ask me some incriminating questions. Could I submit the insurance card and decline to testify or could I testify and just plead the 5th????

Your help is apreciated!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">