• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer singled me out and only wrote me up for being late

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gambino

What is the name of your state? CA.

I'm am latino with perfect grammer and I have more than enough experience to meet the qualifications of my position in a company 98% caucasion. The gentlemen I work with bump heads from time to time but never with me because I'm always neutral plus they know they can always count on my assistance. I've worked there 3yrs now and I'm definetly a team player.

**My only fault is tardiness. I am usually 5 mins late.

My company has around 30 office employees. Every one is on salary and many of them arrive on average 5-15mins late. It's never been a "major" issue. Sure they've mentioned it during company meetings but no one has ever been written up before (based on a known fact). They let everyone slide except me. Recently I was written up for being 10 mins late which was my second time the first was back in Oct. of 2005. Now the following week I was 15mins late after working the night before until 8pm (3hrs over) and I was suspended for one week without pay. In the past 6 mo's I have witness caucasion employees repeatedly coming in late "and" leaving early to the point where several people were asked to help locate them. These persons were never written up. The receptionist used to keep track of "everyones" time but after speaking with her earlier she said she doesn't right down anyones time which only confirms that I am the only one being watched by someone.

Now I'm not trying to deny my being irresponsible or justify my actions. I am very Open Minded, Rational, & Easy Going and it would take "A Lot" to offend me like this.

I feel like I am be discriminated against because "I am" the only one being single out here and held responsible to meet company policy. I've spoken with some of my co-workers and they also agree that it is not fair.

Is it ok to force rules on one employee who is doing nothing different then those around him???

Others have done much worse but they aren't timid like myself. They walk all over me because I don't speak up. I don't like conflict nor drama!

Please help!!!

mitousmom

If you think that you are being treated differently than Caucasian employees who commit the same offense with the same frequency, you can contact EEOC and allege discrimination because you are Latino.

mitousmom

If you accept the OP's information, punctuality is a rather novel concept at the company for which he works since he indicates that many of his co-workers are on average 5 -15 minutes late.

panzertanker

mitousmom said:
If you accept the OP's information, punctuality is a rather novel concept at the company for which he works since he indicates that many of his co-workers are on average 5 -15 minutes late.
Doesn't change the fact that the employee WAS late, and was written up for the infraction.

mitousmom

Yes, but if non-Latinos are also late and don't get written up, his employer's action could violate the anti discrimination provisions of Title VII. That he is guilty as charged is really not relevant.

Gambino

mitousmom said:
Yes, but if non-Latinos are also late and don't get written up, his employer's action could violate the anti discrimination provisions of Title VII. That he is guilty as charged is really not relevant.
I greatly value the opinions of all who reponded so thank you! Now in regards to qoutes 3, 5, & 7 I understand your views because naturally anyones first oppinion would be "if you stop being late you won't get in trouble retard" :p . But this is not so black and white. I am very open minded and I'm not one to point fingers. Even when I was written up the 3rd time and suspended for a week I told my supervisor that "I wouldn't try to justify my being irresponsible because I was late, however the level that my superiors are taking this too is VERY unfair" and he and the acct'g lady both agreed with me and appologized for they were just the messengers.

So again my question is am I being discriminated against as stated in the quote above???
(if non-Latinos are also late and don't get written up, his employer's action could violate the anti discrimination provisions of Title VII. That he is guilty as charged is really not relevant.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">