• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Harassment complaint against me for complement :mad:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

takestime959

Sexual Harassment complaint against me for making a complement

What is the name of your state? IL

I basically made a compliment to a female person whom while working with me for a few days constantly put herself down with regards to her appearance.

I now have been served with a certified letter from her company that I may have sexually harassed her by making a comment (As in one) that she felt had sexual undertones to it and that all communications with her and the company is to stop.

That she or the company may legally pursue this further.

They also sent a letter to my company.

Everyone who has read the comment made has said the same thing. If you stretch this reeeeeeal far it may be taken this way. Even the other females couldn’t believe this accusation on the comment. All said it was a compliment.

I have worked side by side with females for years and many of them I worked alone with also. Not one of them could believe this at all.

I’M Pi**ed OFF! :mad:

Looking at the guidelines for the EEOC I see her company is doing what they are by law required to do but I have taken this as a personal attack on my integrity and reputation.

Should I send a letter to her company telling them she mistook this wrong, try to set up a meeting or not mess around and go ahead and file a suit for Defamation of Character now?

I guess the part that also bothers me is she sent me an e-mail telling me to stop communications and she would consider this a misunderstanding. In shock, I did as she asked because the project was now over and didn't want to push the issue and let my supervisors know what was going on right away. Then bamm, no calls from her company, just a letter out of the blue accusing me of this.

What I have learned from this? I will never compliment a lady again! This was advice strait from my lawyer.

I have a crack lawyer whom told me I have a case but I wanted others feedback on this. I have never been accused of such a thing so I'm P**ed off and but also feel like a deer standing in the headlights.

Should I bury this person in court, file a rebuttal, or leave it alone?

Footnote: This person is new to this job.

Last edited:

Beth3

Should I send a letter to her company telling them she mistook this wrong, try to set up a meeting or not mess around Are you self-employed or do you have an employer you work for?

and go ahead and file a suit for Defamation of Character now? This is not defamation of character. If she feels you made an inappropriate remark, she has the right to report that to her employer even if she's 100% off base.

I have a crack lawyer whom told me I have a case Then I'd say he's ON crack. :rolleyes:

Without knowing your employment situation, it's impossible to tell you how or even if you should respond.

mitousmom

What did you say to her that she found objectionable?

One comment, unless particularly egregious, doesn't rise to the level of illegal sexual harassment.

What's your company's reaction to the sexual harassment complaint? It is they, not you who should respond to the other company's communications. It is their lawyer who should be evaluating any possible liability for the company and determining how to proceed.

I don't see that you have any grounds for any kind of lawsuit. The woman has a statutory right to complain about behavior that she considers sexual harassment. As far as I can tell, she's only informed you, her employer and your employer of the alleged sexual harassment. Her company is investigating her allegation, as is required by federal law. As far as I can tell nothing actionable has happened to you. You have suffered no harm and have no damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">