• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is nepotism against the law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nightlifemp

What is the name of your state? MA

Is nepotism against the law?

My husband's company has been guilty of nepotism, but has taken it too far this time. My husband’s boss is the cousin of an equal worker.

He has worked for the company for 10-years and has been on this shift for over a year. When a shift change occurs it's because you bid for a new shift or job. The shifts vary through out the month so that you are working days one week and nights the next, which he has grown accustom to over the past years.

To stay on straight days or straight nights he was told that you would have to get the person working opposite of you to agree and sign off. This has always been the way it's been done and has really hurt some guys who have worked at the company for 15 and even 30 years. (They started a new shift a few months ago and the 2 people hired agreed to do this each of whom only had 1-2 years with the company. when others who had 15 and 30 years seniority complained, they were told it wasn't by seniority that it had to be agreed by your crew or basically the guy on the opposite shift from you)

Well, the person who works opposite my husband took a new job and the person who was promoted to the position had an agreement with the other guy he worked with to work straight nights so he wouldn't have to pay for child care. When coming onto the new job opposite my husband he asked if he would like to make the same arrangement, which my husband agreed to. All we need to do is get some paperwork and clear it with the boss.

So the other guy told the boss he wanted to set it up with my husband and the boss said he'd have to think about it.

He now has come back to say that my husband can't make the agreement, that he's going to give it to his cousin and that my husband will now have to change his shift. The whole point of the swap is to have the 2-people agree to the change, not throw everyone’s work schedule off.

Now he's giving my husbands shift to his cousin, which now changes the crew he works with, his working days, and his days off.

His boss is now saying he's doing it because of seniority, yet 3-months ago when the same thing was happening seniority didn't matter. The cousin has worked there 3 years longer then my husband.

My question would be is this legal? I only ask because he complains to me and looks for reassurance before going to his HR department.

Beth3

Yes, it's legal.

Management making inconsistent/unfair decisions like this is a good way to (a) end up with a union; and/or (b) negatively impact employee morale and therefore productivity; and/or (c) loose skilled workers to other employers who treat their employees fairly but I'm afraid that's it. There are no legal repercussions for anything like this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">