• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I plead the 5th??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomsefert

Sorry, I am new to this site, and didn't realize that my messages were turned off, so I am reposting. My trial is on Tuesday, please help!

Oregon.
I got pulled over for speeding. I didn't have auto insurance coverage at the moment.
The officer cited me for Speeding $145, Driving uninsured $242, and Failure to carry proof of insurance $242.
When I got home, I called an insurance company and got coverage. My insurance card states that my coverage began on the day that I was cited. I have pleaded not guilty, and have a trial scheduled.
Please tell me the best way to play my cards. I don't want the "driving unisured" conviction,
I don't want to piss off the judge. I have thought about presenting my insurance card as evidence, but I know that the judge would ask me some incriminating questions. Could I submit the insurance card and decline to testify or could I testify and just plead the 5th????

Your help is apreciated!!! :)

gawm

This happened to me with my registration in Arizona and I got off Scot free!:) It might be a little different in Oregon so take it for what it is worth.

Got pulled over, got ticketed for not having my license, insurance card, no registration in car and expired registration, This happened right when I pulled up to work. I had insurance and a valid license just not on me. Lucky for me I work right down the street from the DMV so on my lunch hour I went down and got one of those 30 day permits. They don't put the time on those thirty day permits:cool: so now I had proof I had everything. My first court date is just the arraignment. It is just to see how you plea, responsible, not responsible or responsible w/ explanation. When I pleaded not responsible the judge asked me if I had these things, I said yes, I just didn't have them with me at the time, showed him the proof, and the judge dismissed all the tickets.(he must of been in a good mood) This worked twice for me in a two year period. The second time I even missed my court date.( I won't go into that though, too long a story.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
tomsefert said:
Sorry, I am new to this site, and didn't realize that my messages were turned off, so I am reposting. My trial is on Tuesday, please help!

Oregon.
I got pulled over for speeding. I didn't have auto insurance coverage at the moment.
The officer cited me for Speeding $145, Driving uninsured $242, and Failure to carry proof of insurance $242.
When I got home, I called an insurance company and got coverage. My insurance card states that my coverage began on the day that I was cited. I have pleaded not guilty, and have a trial scheduled.
Please tell me the best way to play my cards. I don't want the "driving unisured" conviction,
I don't want to piss off the judge. I have thought about presenting my insurance card as evidence, but I know that the judge would ask me some incriminating questions. Could I submit the insurance card and decline to testify or could I testify and just plead the 5th????

Your help is apreciated!!! :)
Well, you can probably get out of the "driving uninsured" cite if your insurance policy says that it begins at 12:01 am on the day it was issued. Can't hurt to bring in your policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">