• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Haven't filed income taxes in the last 3yrs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scared Sick

I haven't filed income taxes in the last 3yrs. One of those years I was a full-time college student, and the other two I was working. Usually, I get a tax refund, but I don't know since I haven't filed. I was living in California and have recently moved back to Texas. Also, I didn't make over $30, 000 for any of the years I mentioned above.

Do I need a lawyer to handle this or is this something I could work out with the IRS on my own?

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

HomeGuru

Contact the IRS and get back into the system. You can still file those returns for the last 3 years and there will be penalties and interest if your owe taxes. If you are owed a refund for 2 years, then it should be less of a worry to you. Be prepared to pay a nonfiler penalty.

W

wowie

If you are like me and fear confrontation you can simply file your late returns and wait for them to respond to you. Make sure that if you are under 24 you were not someones dependant for any of those years. I have seen MUCH worse cases. 9 and 10 years of not filing. The IRS is harsh on them but willing to work. Keep in mind also that if you are to get refunds then the burden is less because they will simply take that money out of your refund.

HomeGuru

It is better to be proactive than to play a waiting game. I have had clients who thought that everything was cleared up then years later when fiing BK or applying for a mortgage loan to purchase a home (just when they least expected it; Hello this is the IRS, remember us, you owe us a ton of money)

crager34

more info

With recent changes in IRS procedures, they have become more forgiving, for those in simular situations. HomeGuru & wowie speak the truth..the faster you act, the nicer they are. They are more forgiving when they don't have to seek you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">