• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whistleblower????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tadowdaddy

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am currently acting as an "interim" team lead. My team lead quit for an opportunity that I had previously turned down with another company. I figure I'm next in line for the promotion, because my skills are well above anyone else, and I have the highest title and senority above any of my co workers. Also, it can't hurt to have the "interim" title right? I have since interviewed for the position with my Sr. Manager of 3 years and with my new "junior" manager. She has been in that position all of 2 weeks.

The interview went well.. and I was pretty confident that I would get the position, but an incident since the interview has me very concerned.

2 days after the interview, the junior manager blocked some time off my calendar to "chat about the team lead job". This really excited me as I thought the job was mine. We went out and got lunch, and started to talk. She told me that they have not decided yet, but she wanted to discuss a few things. #1 being, I should know when and where to say things. I figured she meant in front of clients, but boy was I wrong. She said she wanted me to know that there are certain situations where I should know to say something and certain situations where I need to keep my mouth shut.

The second thing that she wanted to discuss is leadership. Well, she said my technical and client skills are there, but that she has been told that maybe I need to be involved in some leadership opportunities. I was all for it. I mean, anything I can do to improve my skills in order to get this job is great. I agreed that I would be interested. She then said that she has a perfect opportunity for me. She wanted me to talk to her husband at 4pm that day, and said he'd be coming into the office. He does not work for our company. I agreed. At 4pm, her husband and his "business partner" showed up. She brought me in her office and left, stating possible conflict of interest.

Well to put it short, her husband and this other guy tried to get me involved in a freakin pyramid scheme. Kind of like quickstar etc. They approached it as, if I can sell the products and succeed in the business, which has NOTHING to do with my current job, that I would gain massive leadership skills as well as make additional income. I was floored! I had no idea what to do, so I agreed to meet them again to talk. I mean, my concern was if I didn't join this pyramid thing, and didn't try to make her money, would the decision of me getting the job be affected? My new junior manager then came back into her office, got some cd's out of her bag, and said to listen to them, that this pyramid thing called the "team" is wonderful.

I went straight to her Sr. Manager. I mean, if I do not do this pyramid crap, then is my chance at the promotion hurt? She sent me to HR to discuss. I told HR the entire story, which to me is almost like a female working under me and me asking for sex for a promotion. She met with HR today and is still my manager.. which really sucks. She is in charge of the decision and I have been informed that I did the right thing, and that it would not factor into the decision. Her senior manager guaranteed me of this. My question is, knowing I am the most qualified, if I do not get this job, are there any legal ramifications I can persue? This is a horrible situation, and I really need advice.

Since I talked to HR, I emailed the junior manager and informed her I am not interested in the scheme. She sent me an instant message back asking me not to discuss the outside business thing over email and asked for the CD's back. I don't want to give them back, as I need them for any possible legal ramifications. Also, asking me over IM not to talk about it over work email??? WTF?????

Also, regardless of if I get it or not, I fear I'll be treated differently. I know the whistleblower laws will cover me if I ever had to quit because of that... I mean, being treated differently and having to quit because I turned her in for one of the most unethical things I've ever witnessed is a sure fire lawsuit. Are there any other things I should look out for here?

Thanks,

Last edited:

mitousmom

Which whistleblower laws do you think will cover you? Which law do you think your jr. manager's unethical behavior violated?

I don't see that you have any recourse under federal law if you are denied the promotion or if you resign.

tadowdaddy

After speaking with my lawyer, I'd be covered if I resigned due to being treated differently in the workplace, and a harsh working environment caused by the junior manager treating me different after I told about her unethical behavior. As for not being promoted, I understand there is no legal recourse, but I am asking more for advice on how to handle the situation.

mitousmom

Your lawyer needs to inform you of the law under which you can file a lawsuit alleging that you were treated differently and subjected to a 'Harsh working environment" and the basis for your allegation of disparate treatment. Maybe you provided the attorney with relevant details you haven't supplied here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">