• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can I protect my property before they damage it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zinubes

What is the name of your state? Minnesota :eek: My neighbor is installing an underground pool and the way that my house sits
they have to use my driveway for access to their backyard,through their
fence which a couple of sections will be removed in order to access,my
problem is through their use of heavy equipment and everything needed to
construct the pool,how do I protect my property from damage,if infact a
problem should arise? I know I should get something in writting,but what
should it say? how do I approach my neighbor?PLEASE HELP!!Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!Thank you,and have a nice day!

seniorjudge

Tell them they cannot use your property.

If they insist AND YOU AGREE, then make them put up a damage bond (their cost).

Sounds like someone is taking advantage of you.

justalayman

I second the judges post.

Additionally, be sure to have a contractual agreement that the property will be returned to it's original condition (fence re-intalled properly, grassy areas re-sodded or such). Items sometimes get excluded from "damages" status although they truly are damages.

How do you approach your neighbor?

I prefer head on (not meant to infer an adversarial approach, merely point of matter and factual). It avoids misunderstandings. If he is truly concerned with your position, he will understand and openly accept such an agreement.

If he won't accept, tell him to find another way into his back yard. He apparently has no concern for your best interests.

zinubes

Thank you!

I just wanted to say thank you to you two for helping me with this matter,and a HUGE THANK YOU for NOT trying to charge me for your advice!This world would be a lot better off if there were more of you guys in it!!Thanks again,and have a great day!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">