• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

putting or continuing off cases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Danieljs

What is the name of your state? mississippi

In the process of collecting a debt, a collectors' case was continued four times before judgement, at least twice by the court clerk. My question is; Is there a standard whereby justice court judges and clerks have limitations in continuing cases? The issue of improperly continuing cases has come up in Mississippi. I've been told by some that certain factors may be involved, and from others that there is no legal standard except judges'/clerks' discretion. Can a judge/clerk be held accountable for continuing a case too many times if there is such a thing? Where is the canon/law for such a precedent? Thank you.

Daniel

Last edited:

Danieljs

putting off or continuing cases

If it will help, I did find something of relevance to my question. Thank you all anyway.

Commission on Judicial Performance v. McPhail, 874 So. 2d 441 (Mississippi 2004) (failing to ensure that judgment was dated on date actually signed; entering judgment for plaintiff based on ex parte communication; setting aside judgment following ex parte communication with defendant’s attorney; ex parte communications in domestic violence case; taking criminal case under advisement for over nine months; habitually failing to render timely decisions in civil cases) (6/04)

In the Matter of Freitag, Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law, Imposition of Discipline, and Consent Order (Nevada Commission on Judicial Discipline October 7, 2004) (www.judicial.state.nv.us/ decision%20index.htm) (failure to decide 48 cases over prolonged period) (10/04)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">