• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

basspro

What is the name of your state? NC
I was recently involved in a case, retained an attorney, spent over $20,000 with the attorney.

After the case I asked the attorney what would it cost to (his fee) to obtain an 'unsatisfed writ of execution'. When the attorney informed me it would cost about $1500-$2,000 I informed the attorney I did not wish to pursue.

The attorney has sent me a bill for one hour of his time. He claims the time was spent investigating the actions necessary to obtain the 'unsatisifed writ'.

Is it normal for an attorney to charge a fee to tell someone what their fee will be to handle an action? Given that I have already paid the attorney over $20,000 isn't this charge a little ridiculous, or did I just step in it.

Dandy Don

Check to see if the actual time he spent doing the research was before or after you told him that you didn't want the writ.

basspro

The time spent was before; however, what is the relevance? Remember, I did NOT say I want to pursue this and then back out. I only asked what would it cost if I chose to pursue.

Dandy Don

Only the attorney you consult to pursue this can tell you how much it will cost. Probably best to let it go--cost of attorney fees will no doubt exceed the $2,000 you would be trying to get back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">