• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used car broken now, is it blackmail if I threaten them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ziggy1999

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I bought a little 1965 sports car from a European company around 5 years ago that was supposed to be all fixed up. It's not a supercar or nothing but a neat little sports car. Anyway, they shipped it over and now I have a major problem with structural body rust and can't drive it at all. I've got to junk it or pay quite a bit to get it fixed. I want the seller to pay to fix it cause they clearly didn't take much care and should've known when fixing it themselves. He says it's an old vehicle and he didn't know and he isn't responsible for it anymore. Yeah, the gaurantee wasn't long but still I got ripped off! I wrote the guy a nasty email saying I would start posting all over the internet and warning people against his company if they didn't pay to fix it. Now he says he will forward that to the police here because it is blackmail and sue me for libel if I post anything saying his company is responsible for this.

Do I have any recourse?

Am I in any danger here of being charged or getting sued for libel if I start writing about them on the internet?

Thanks.

CraigFL

I personally wouldn't do anything like that. They always say that as long as you speak the truth it's OK but unfortunately one person's truth isn't another person's truth. If the seller feels harmed, they can sue you and it will be up to a judge to figure out what the truth really is.

The other thing I'm not sure I understand is the 5 years. You've owned it for 5 years since they shipped it to you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">