• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can new charges be added anytime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

k. tacker

I was charged for a crime and am currently going to court and was set for trial almost 8 months later at the courthouse before trial my lawyer offered me a deal from the pros. in which I turned down, considering I am innocent. Court was postponed that day and my lawyer told me if I didn't take the offer I would be charged with two more felony offenses that allegely took place the same day as the pending charges against me. I still refused the deal and two days later two new charges were put on me with no warrants being issued or no bonds having to be posted. the pros. called it in his letter to the clerk/judge, that he hereby seeks leave to file an amended information. whatever that means?, he then went on to say that this was part of an agreement with me to not take this matter to trial on the day I was in court which, is not true, because I had never even heard anything about a deal to postpone trial or to new charges would be applied. The deal I was offered was for a guilty plea. He then told the clerk/judge in his letter that I was aware of this agreement and that these new charges would be of no surprise. and, on the trial date that now is supposively agreed to be postponed, the judge, my attorney and the pros. had a conference call on my case. Nothing came about from the call and I was left hanging on the outcome, as to when a new trial would be. Though, since my attorney was paid in full for my case he now has requested an additional 10G for the two new charges added to my case that he agreed to let be put on me without even letting me know. Is this legal on either of their parts? I have since received a letter stating the case is to go to trial March 12, 2001, a year and a half after the alleged offense happened and half a year after my origional trial date. What's up with this? My attorney took the case knowing he could beat it because I am innocent so why all of this extra $$ and allowing of these new charges, was there something he could of done to stop them from being put on me and is it legal for after such a long time can the pros. do this kind of thing? Also, is there a certain length of time they have to take this to trial? And is there a timelength on being allowed to add new charges on a pending case for offenses that allegely took place the same day as alleged pending charges? Please help enlighten me. To help you, the pending and new charges are all drug related, one being in violation of section 195.211. and punishable upon conviction under sec. 558.011 and two being in violation of sec. 195.202 and punishable upon conviction under sec.558.011 and 560.011. I am innocent and have no prior record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">