• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Large Refund?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sfelaine

In 1997 I received a refund of $800 or so from the state of NC where I reside. I thought it was too much because I thought my tax return said much less than that. I find tax forms complicated so I thought maybe I mis-calculated. Who am I to argue with Uncle Sam? Now, I receive a garnishment of wages plus a penalty & interest. I contacted an attorney who looked at my return & stated I did everything correctly but the IRS can go back 7 years. Is there anything I can do?How could I have returned a refund that was too much? Write them a check?

Thank you for your time.

W

wowie

I am not a CPA and not an attorney.

I don't have all of the info in front of me to read, but from what you say, it sounds like it might be a communication error. You said that you got a refund from NC. . .not from the US Treasury. If you got a US tax refund it would come on a check that said US Treasury and might have a NC address. I can't remember where the east coast mails their returns. If you got a NC refund it would come on a check that said State of North Carolina and would probably be from Raleigh. You might have completed your federal tax return correctly and your state return incorrectly. If the lawyer looked at the federal return and said it was correct, you might want to have him/her look over the state one. . .just a thought.

As well, I would persue the penalties and interest part of the judgment. They had every opportunity to look over that return to ensure accuracy. Everybody makes mistakes

Just another little tidbit of info. Most states offer FREE help in filing your state return. Also most cities and school districts offer free help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">