• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Addition and contractor problems in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lkss

In Michigan I hired a licensed and incorporated contractor for building a 500 sq ft addition on my home. Structural problems occured within 1 year. I hired a structural engineer and a lawyer and eventually was awarded a court consent judgement in May of 2006 of $17500 to be paid in monthly installments with accrued interest. Despite the court order I only have recieved a payment of $ 750, $50, $25. I contacted my lawyer and despite paying my lawyer many thousands of dollars (appx $8000) to guide me in this case he is stating essentially that there may be nothing I can do to get hime to pay. I contacted the contractor and he said he is going through a divorce and his partner sued him for a large sum and he has no money. It seems that I have a right to be added to a list of creditors if he has gone into bankruptcy (not sure he actually is though). Isn't there something that can be done as he is violating a court order by a circuit court judge in Oakland County Michigan? Any advice?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">