• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unethical PI lawyer working with doctor???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drpsholder

What is the name of your state? GA

I own a chirpractic business. I had a patient enter my office, that was referred by an attorney. The patient signed a lien and wanted me paid directly, but no lien was signed by the attorney. Paperwork was sent to attorney about 3 months ago and my staff has been checking on the status every month. We were told that case was pending from attorneys office, but patient called me to inform me that the attorney was not going to pay me directly. The attorney said that he tried to reach me 3 or 4 times, but to no avail, so somehow this gives him the authority to pay the patient instead of me, when my lien with patients states differently.
I fully understand that my patient is responsible. Patient is telling me that they dont feel like they should have to pay either. If attorney was hired to help in settlement and reimbursement and does not help in reimbursement, then why should they. Yes, I can send them to collections, but to date, I have collected 0 from collection agencies. So, she got my money because I could not be reached?
My question is: Can the attorney take it into his own hands just because I cannot be reached? How ethical is this? Can I make a claim to the BAR. I have full time staff and caller ID. He did not call me. Also, he could have faxed or sent a letter. Also, my lien states that she wanted me paid directly. Attorney office is now saying that she signed something stating that she did not want me paid. Whose lien takes precedence? His or mine? Why is his lien enforceable, but mine is not? I asked them, the attorney, to fax me the signed letter, but I have received nothing. Sounds fishy!!!!!!
Also, how can I get protected next time. If I got attorney to sign lien, then they will just say that I could not be reached which would somehow nullify lien. If I got attorney to sign lien and patient to sign a lien, which states that they want me paid directly, what stops the attorney from telling patient that they dont have to abide by such lien. Or "just sign here and you dont have to pay that doctor."
This sounds very unethical to me. It may be legal, but only in a loophole kind of way.

Thanks,
Chiropractor in GA

weenor

drpsholder said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I own a chirpractic business. I had a patient enter my office, that was referred by an attorney. The patient signed a lien and wanted me paid directly, but no lien was signed by the attorney.
The rules of ethics preclude the attorney from making a promise to pay his client's bill or otherwise loaning the client money. That's why the letter of protection is signed by the client- it is her promise.
Paperwork was sent to attorney about 3 months ago and my staff has been checking on the status every month. We were told that case was pending from attorneys office, but patient called me to inform me that the attorney was not going to pay me directly. The attorney said that he tried to reach me 3 or 4 times, but to no avail, so somehow this gives him the authority to pay the patient instead of me, when my lien with patients states differently.
I fully understand that my patient is responsible.
[B Sue the patient for your fees. [/B]
Patient is telling me that they dont feel like they should have to pay either. If attorney was hired to help in settlement and reimbursement and does not help in reimbursement, then why should they. Yes, I can send them to collections, but to date, I have collected 0 from collection agencies. So, she got my money because I could not be reached?
My question is: Can the attorney take it into his own hands just because I cannot be reached? Yes your claim is against the patient.
How ethical is this?no ethics problem here.
Can I make a claim to the BAR. Sure but they won't do anythng.
I have full time staff and caller ID. He did not call me. Also, he could have faxed or sent a letter. Oh well
Also, my lien states that she wanted me paid directly. Sue her based on the written promise to pay.
Attorney office is now saying that she signed something stating that she did not want me paid. Whose lien takes precedence? His or mine? Why is his lien enforceable, but mine is not? just because she signed something saying you were not to be paid out of the settlement proceeds does not mean he has a lien. Again your claim is against her, not him.
I asked them, the attorney, to fax me the signed letter, but I have received nothing. Sounds fishy!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Also, how can I get protected next time. Don't accept this lawyer's clients or get health insurance payments.
If I got attorney to sign lien, then they will just say that I could not be reached which would somehow nullify lien. If I got attorney to sign lien and patient to sign a lien, which states that they want me paid directly, what stops the attorney from telling patient that they dont have to abide by such lien. Or "just sign here and you dont have to pay that doctor."
This sounds very unethical to me. It may be legal, but only in a loophole kind of way.

Thanks,
Chiropractor in GA
The attorney CANNOT sign anything to get you paid. Most good lawyers will insist that caregivers are paid by their office from the settlement proceeds in order to maintain a good working relationship with any doctor or chiropractor. However they are under no legal obligation to do this. Your patient promised she would pay and she did not- Sue her.

T

thepizzaguy

Yup sue her, trash her credit and feel good about it while you do it :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">