• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegally taping conversations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xhaustd

What is the name of your state? VA

what are my rights? a fellow co-worker taped conversations of us without me knowing. then tried to use them against me to get me in trouble. :mad:
he was reprimanded and the issue was made to disappear. isn't that a felony? can i sue him and my employer for privacy violations regardless of the information taped. i have no idea how long i was taped. how many days, hrs. etc. someone i work with does know that information but currently it is not available to me until i decide to have that information supeoneaed <--spelling error, if need be. sorry. this is a person who works around patients and during tapings there could have been HIPAA violations as well. thanks.What is the name of your state?

xhaustd

he wore a wire tap or carried a hidden tape recorder. these were not telephone or cell phone conversations.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
VA law does NOT require that all parties to a taped conversation be aware of it. So no, his taping you without your knowledge is not a felony.

What makes you think your employer has any liability? Even if your co-worker did violate the law, which he didn't, they didn't put him up to it and he was reprimanded for what he did. So what makes you think you can sue them?

EVEN IF there are HIPAA violations, it would be the patient who had the claim, not you.

xhaustd

the guy who has been taping me has been in trouble in the past. falsifying documents (time cards) lying or witholding info during a work related investigation, and demoted for it. he's quite paranoid. can him trying to get me in trouble with the tapings be construed as harassment? now that its clear he didn't break any laws with taping our conversations what else can i do to ensure a safe work environment?

pattytx

Even if it IS "harrassment" (and I'm not convinced that it is or it isn't), it's not ILLEGAL harrassment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">