• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sspackers

I am from iowa and i got hurt on the job, which ultimatly led to my employer terminating me because of my job restrictions. My question is is would this be discrimination by my employer because of the disabilities i have succumb from my work related injury.

B

buddy2bear

You got hurt at work. You went out on workers' compensation. You partially recover and come back to work on "light duty." Some companies specifically set up light duty for returning injured workers -- helps save money with the workers' comp. insurance. Light duty is provided for a short interim period of time. It is not a life-long position, but only until you are fully released to assume your original job duties. So to is workers' compensation - for short durations. If your injury was severe and you can no longer perform the "essential functions of the job," then you can be terminated. That is when you apply for social security disability. A company is not obligated to "carry" an individual for life because that individual was injured at work, unless that individual made an agreement with the company to have a job in exchange for not suing the company for the injury.

I am not an attorney, but you can always contact a workers' compensation attorney for a consultation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">