• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

race,age,gender discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

allyntown

i recently quit my job of 8 years due to non-promotion. three times i was denied a promotion i was more than qualified for, in my opinion due to race,age and gender discrimination. my question is about the financial liability of this company if found guilty of discrimination. if i sue for punitive damages, what is the maximum amount allowable to be asked for in damages ?

B

buddy2bear

Seeing $ signs? You can ask for anything you want, what you ultimately end up with depends on how egregious and prevasive the company's practice of discrimination is/was. Punitive damages are to punish so that companies will think before they do something wrong again. In any event, your first step is to file with the EEOC and cross-file with your State's human rights commission. After you get your Right to Sue letter, then you find a labor & employment law attorney, who will give you a better idea of how much you can sue for. However, this is not the lottery and you should be prepared for the long, long haul, especially if you are seeking big bucks. Companies just don't roll over and shell out money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">