• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket,no signs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjpc

Texas......75022

I was stopped for speeding in Flower Mound (66 in a 55) on 2499 just south of Lakeside Pkwy. In the route I take to work there are no speed limit signs to the Town border****************************.....

South town limits traveling north on 2499 ,first sign is 1 mile into the town,
(between Enterprise and Gerrault rds) ,second sign is 1 mile past first sign near
Silveron blvd. I mile further is a reduce speed sign leading to a 45 mph (residential area).

Travelling south on 2499,first 55mph sign is just south of Aberdeen.
Lakeside pkwy(where I turned onto South 2499,non residential) is 5/10 mile from first sign.
There are no further signs on southbound 2499 to the town limits.This is roughly 2.5 miles from
the Aberdeen sign.
These are rough estimates based on the tripometer in my vehicle.

Does this have merit to challenge the ticket or should I take a defensive course to keep off my record?
I have a good record,can't recall last ticket.

AMBERDBLUE

I used to live down a 1 mile stretch road with no speed limit sign I used to fly down it every morning then one morning not paying attn top the last hill to find a policeman and of course I got pulled over. Hetold me that the speed limit was 45mph. I told him that I didn't realize that because there were no speed limit signs. He told me that they put them up the night before and I better be thankful they did because if a stretch of road does not have a speed limit sign then the speed limit is automatically 25 mph if not posted. Otherwise my ticket would've been more. So that's what I was told about unmarked roads.

tjpc said:
Texas......75022

I was stopped for speeding in Flower Mound (66 in a 55) on 2499 just south of Lakeside Pkwy. In the route I take to work there are no speed limit signs to the Town border****************************.....

South town limits traveling north on 2499 ,first sign is 1 mile into the town,
(between Enterprise and Gerrault rds) ,second sign is 1 mile past first sign near
Silveron blvd. I mile further is a reduce speed sign leading to a 45 mph (residential area).

Travelling south on 2499,first 55mph sign is just south of Aberdeen.
Lakeside pkwy(where I turned onto South 2499,non residential) is 5/10 mile from first sign.
There are no further signs on southbound 2499 to the town limits.This is roughly 2.5 miles from
the Aberdeen sign.
These are rough estimates based on the tripometer in my vehicle.

Does this have merit to challenge the ticket or should I take a defensive course to keep off my record?
I have a good record,can't recall last ticket.

SPR

Is it also not true that the speed limit would be the last posted limit? So, if I pull out onto a road, no matter whether I see one or not, I am still expected to go the speed limit that was posted before my turn?

The Occultist

You cannot assume a speed limit would be the same when you get onto a different road. If you get onto a difference road and do not observe a posted speed limit, you cannot go off of a previous speed limit from a different road. Your state (and possibly city) has rules regarding what limits you are supposed to assume for roads with no posted speed limit. For the most part, these restrictions are noted in basic driver's manuals. Your ignorance of these assumed limits will not get you out of this citation.

tjpc said:
I was stopped for speeding in Flower Mound (66 in a 55) on 2499 just south of Lakeside Pkwy. In the route I take to work there are no speed limit signs to the Town border****************************.
The statutes attempt to describe general speed limits to be enforced, whether a sign is present or not. Will mention the character of the development (residential, for instance), whether inside or outside an incorporated area, etc. These are the limits, "unless otherwise posted". From your description it can't be determined what understanding might be drawn by comparing the general limit law to the location. You should read the statute carefully, comparing it to the nature of the road and population around it. May be the area is clearly 55mph territory, or it falls into the 65 category. Not likely 66 will be taken as not speeding, unless we are talking about a genuine freeway. Since you have a good record, tell your story and ask for mercy or an alternative to points.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">