• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License Supsension in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JKSMOM

What is the name of your state? Texas

My son was arrested for possession of a controlled substance. He received a Class A Misdemeanor and one year's probation. We heard through the "grapevine" that his license would be suspended because he is under 21 (he is seventeen). The judge did not discuss this with him during his court appearance and we have not received any notice from the DMV that his license has been suspended. I have tried to research this online, but haven't had much luck. Does anyone know if license suspension is automatic with a drug offense in Texas? Also, if his license is suspended--will there be a chance that he could get some type of hardship license so that he can drive to school and work?

ceara19

JKSMOM said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

My son was arrested for possession of a controlled substance. He received a Class A Misdemeanor and one year's probation. We heard through the "grapevine" that his license would be suspended because he is under 21 (he is seventeen). The judge did not discuss this with him during his court appearance and we have not received any notice from the DMV that his license has been suspended. I have tried to research this online, but haven't had much luck. Does anyone know if license suspension is automatic with a drug offense in Texas? Also, if his license is suspended--will there be a chance that he could get some type of hardship license so that he can drive to school and work?
Call the DMV and ask if his license has been suspended. It is pretty standard for a Minor's license to be suspended when they commit a crime.

JKSMOM

License Suspension in Texas

I understand that license suspension is pretty customary; what I don't understand is why this wasn't discussed by the judge. No one in the court (judge, attorney, etc) discussed license suspension--it was actually brought up by a court clerk while he was paying his fine. They were talking and she asked him how long the judge suspended his license. When he told her it hadn't been suspended, she mentioned that it probably would be. I have been able to find information online about license suspension for minors in possession (of alcohol) but nothing at all with regard to drug charges. He was not in a vehicle when we was caught with the drugs and had not been driving. He has been tested weekly since this occured without any further problems (it happened in early June), but the case was not heard until August 30. He has to pay court costs and fines--which I am requiring him to work to pay. I have not let him drive since that day, however, as a single Mom it is extremely difficult for me to get him to and from work and school while I am working two jobs to support he and his sister. Please understand, I am not looking for sympathy. I know he deserves to be punished and he has been, severely. However, I am not sure what to do about getting him to school and to work. I don't have any help, and his Father does not live in the same city. If his license is indeed suspended, does anyone know if he will be able to qualify for a hardship license to go to work and to school? HELP, please!!

The Occultist

The reason why the courts did not bring it up is because it has NOTHING to do with a court order. The DMV is acting as its own entity when it decides to suspend a minor's DL in such a situation.

Heather2

When you apply for a hardship license be prepared to pay quite a bit for it. I want to say it's around $100 but I'm not positive.

ceara19

Heather2 said:
When you apply for a hardship license be prepared to pay quite a bit for it. I want to say it's around $100 but I'm not positive.
In this case, I doubt that the DMV will approve the hardship license. The OP's son is the CAUSE of the hardship. He committed a crime and he know has to live with the consequences of that. There are many other modes of transportation. Driving is a PRIVELEDGE, not a right. It's time to get out a bus schedule or start shopping for a bicycle.

Heather2

ceara19 said:
In this case, I doubt that the DMV will approve the hardship license. The OP's son is the CAUSE of the hardship. He committed a crime and he know has to live with the consequences of that. There are many other modes of transportation. Driving is a PRIVELEDGE, not a right. It's time to get out a bus schedule or start shopping for a bicycle.
I'm not sure I agree. When I got in trouble they didn't suspend my license but the people that did get their license suspended due to drug charges just had to pay for a class and pay the money to get a hardship license.

ceara19

Heather2 said:
I'm not sure I agree. When I got in trouble they didn't suspend my license but the people that did get their license suspended due to drug charges just had to pay for a class and pay the money to get a hardship license.
Was that as a MINOR though? It is easier for an ADULT to have their license reinstated with the restriction that they only drive to and from work, school and/or a few other places (like grocery store, hauling the kids to and from school, etc.).

Heather2

ceara19 said:
Was that as a MINOR though? It is easier for an ADULT to have their license reinstated with the restriction that they only drive to and from work, school and/or a few other places (like grocery store, hauling the kids to and from school, etc.).
One was but the other four were adults. I guess you're right.

ceara19

Heather2 said:
One was but the other four were adults. I guess you're right.
A minor can lose their license until they reach 18 just for getting caught with cigarettes. I would imagine the same is true for drug possession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">