• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case, no case, just S.O.L. ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mud-Dawg

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Okay so here goes ...and I'll TRY to keep it simple

I work for a company that is contracted by a larger company.(Client).
None of the companies involved have any policies regarding company dating or inter-company dating.

I have been involved with someone from one of the clients other contracted companies since March of 06. We live and work on location for 2 weeks (12 hr shifts) then are off 2weeks. No problems whatsoever until the new company rep arrived.

Recently the Client got a new company representative. I worked for 4 days while he was there then went on days off. While I was on days off he called the Superintendent of his Company told him that the other employees were uncomfortable with our relationship. His boss called my bosses boss, who called my boss who called me said that the new co. rep had complained about our relationship making others uncomfortabe, and as a result I was being moved to a new location upon my return to work. (we have since had all the employees on location sign a paper that states they weren't uncomfortable). The guy lied.
Whenever I go to the old location the complaining co. rep monitors my arrival and departure and checks up on why I was there. He has never addressed me about any of this and won't even make eye contact with me when our paths cross.

As a result the contracted company that my boyfriend works for (because they called his boss too) has "banned" me from visiting his house at work. I am the only person in Colorado that isn't allowed to go there unless it's business. Since we ignored the imposed "ban" (didn't think they had any rt to do that), they are now going to move him even further away so that seeing each other when not on days off becomes an impossibility.

At no time has anyone from the Clients company or my boyfriends company said anything to me about any of this. They have however had meetings about the"situation". None of which I or my boyfriend were invited to attend.

We always kept things stricktly professional while on location no "grab a**" or anything like that. Just hanging out during down time. Nothing that anyone else on location isn't doing. Our productivity and quality of work hasn't suffered either. I received my last performance review in May of 06 and it was excellent as usual.

I don't know, but I don't think that the company you work for has any right to decide how or who you spend your off time with, and they certainly shouldn't be able to dictate how you run your personal life...but maybe I'm wrong.

I guess my question is do we have grounds for a discrimination or harassment case ?

Beth3

I guess my question is do we have grounds for a discrimination or harassment case ? Nope. If your employer wishes to transfer you, put restrictions on you, or even terminate your employment because they are uncomfortable with a personal relationship you have with an employee of their client's (or a client's client), they are free to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">