• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile work enviroment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Boot

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I need to know what i should do. My boss was yelling at me the other day and when I told him i was leaving he stepped in front of the door and refused to let me go past him so I turned arond to leave out of the other door he proceeded to chase me screaming at me. I was fearful of what he might do and am afraid to return to work. What should I do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the facts are as stated, your boss's behavior was atrocious but he did not violate any laws, and what you describe does not meet the legal definition of a hostile work environment. Unless you were subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII and related laws (race, religion, national origin etc.) an HWE does not exist.

You can report his behavior to HR or upper management but no law says he can't scream at you or even chase you down the hall. It's unprofessional as all get out and I'm sure the guy is a royal jerk but neither is illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">