• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair Promotions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HALFDEAD

What is the name of your state? GEORGIA
Prior to going out on maternity leave my wife's boss hired a new employee that had to be trained by my wife. Both had the same job title but this other female was being paid more money. Recently her boss stated that she hired the other employee because she didn't think my wife was going to return. She never asked she just assumed.

Last week the person that my wife trained was promoted to manager of that department. In a recent meeting the director made it appear as if my wife turned the position down when it was actually never offered. My wife has a college degree while this other female has no formal education. The establishment in question is an insurance company, and while it requires claim reps to have a four year degree it promoted a person with no degree to the position of human resources manager. Is it not strange that a person applying for a 30K claim rep job must have a degree while a manager of human resources does not? Allow me to also add that while people of color employed there hold college degrees, none hold any management positions.

pattytx

It may or may not have been unfair, but I don't see anything illegal here. Even if the company has a policy to only hire college graduates in that management position, it is not a violation of law if they make exceptions to the policy. Nor is it necessarily illegal to hire someone in at a higher salary than your wife was making. There are many factors that go into making a salary decision including market price for the position, the candidate's negotiating skills, etc. It's a sad fact that existing employees salaries don't often get raised based on market value, but it's the way of the world.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">