• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Immediate Help! Reckless driving ticket in VA (first offense)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Akatz

I would really appreciate any advice you guys could give me.....

I have a court case tomorrow Sept. 12 (traffic court) in Warren County, Virginia. I was caught going 84 mph in a 65 mph zone which is considered reckless driving in Virginia (over 80mph is reckless). To give you a little background information, I had a speeding ticket (52/40) about 4 months ago and a couple other speeding tickets spread out over the last 7 years (however, from 2004-2006, I received no tickets). The situation with this reckless ticket was that it was roughly 1:45am on Route 66, which is a major highway. There were absolutely no cars in sight and all I could see was the pitch black night. In addition to that, I had been moving out of my apartment all day from 10am-10pm where I attended college (Virginia Tech) and was very tired and fatigued. Nevertheless, I decided to drive home that evening and proceeded to get the ticket on the last hour leg of the trip. My court case is tomorrow (Sept. 12) at 11am and I am in serious need for any advice you may have for me. The thing that has me the most worried is the fact that this is considered a Class 1 Misdemeanor which can actually mean jail time (I recently found this out...If i knew it was THAT serious I wouldve hired a lawyer months ago). I realize this is incredibly short notice, but I didn't even know free advice was available until my friend mentioned it to me the other day. As of right now, my plan is to just go to the court tomorrow (nicely dressed of course), plead guilty, and pretty much just state what I've written above. I really need my car to transport back and forth from class, work, etc. and jail time is just unimaginable, I dont know what I would do if that were the case. Please any adice that you may have would really help me out. Thank you so much.

Adam

T

thepizzaguy

Akatz said:
I would really appreciate any advice you guys could give me.....

I have a court case tomorrow Sept. 12 (traffic court) in Warren County, Virginia. I was caught going 84 mph in a 65 mph zone which is considered reckless driving in Virginia (over 80mph is reckless). To give you a little background information, I had a speeding ticket (52/40) about 4 months ago and a couple other speeding tickets spread out over the last 7 years (however, from 2004-2006, I received no tickets). The situation with this reckless ticket was that it was roughly 1:45am on Route 66, which is a major highway. There were absolutely no cars in sight and all I could see was the pitch black night. In addition to that, I had been moving out of my apartment all day from 10am-10pm where I attended college (Virginia Tech) and was very tired and fatigued. Nevertheless, I decided to drive home that evening and proceeded to get the ticket on the last hour leg of the trip. My court case is tomorrow (Sept. 12) at 11am and I am in serious need for any advice you may have for me. The thing that has me the most worried is the fact that this is considered a Class 1 Misdemeanor which can actually mean jail time (I recently found this out...If i knew it was THAT serious I wouldve hired a lawyer months ago). I realize this is incredibly short notice, but I didn't even know free advice was available until my friend mentioned it to me the other day. As of right now, my plan is to just go to the court tomorrow (nicely dressed of course), plead guilty, and pretty much just state what I've written above. I really need my car to transport back and forth from class, work, etc. and jail time is just unimaginable, I dont know what I would do if that were the case. Please any adice that you may have would really help me out. Thank you so much.

Adam
Don't just go in there screaming I am guilty. Jeez louise:rolleyes:

Put your Sunday go to church clothes on, shave, get a haircut if neccesary and tell the judge you just realized the seriousness of this and humbly ask for an adjournment untill you can get a lawyer.

You can also ask him in a very polite way if it would be a good idea to speak to the District Attorney.

A lot of people don't realize that they can plea bargain without a attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">