• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

due to my friends actions, im getting in trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redmr2_man

What is the name of your state? California

Hello, first off thanks for all who post beforehand.

Straight to the facts:

Gotta call from friends to pick them up at a party as they had been drinking and weren't gunna drive.

I am 20 years old w/ a 20 year old passenger. We pick up three intoxicated UNDERAGE (20yrs old) drunks. On the way home one drunk passenger hurls a full beer at a guy on a bicycle. There was a police officer behind us. I was pulled over, and when they look in the car they saw alcohol. Evidentally my friends brought two things of vodka and a couple beers. nothing was open. Two people in the car got tickets and i recieved a ticket for:

23224(A) VC "Possession of alcohol under 21yrs of age"

The officers said since it was my car, it was my responsibility to make sure my underage passengers didn't bring alcohol into the vehicle. It was not mine and I had absolutely nothing to drink that night.

I'm also being told im looking at a mandatory one year suspension of my drivers license, two points on my drivers license, and a 600 dollar fine :(

And lastly, what consequences am I looking at for being cited for that vc? (fines, MIP classes, suspension, etc.)

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

SPR

It is a driver's responsbility to know these laws and what is expected of drivers. You were given a book and told to study it, then tested. The passing of that test states that you had/have the knowledge to operate a vehicle safely and lawfully.

Remember that driving is a privilage, not a right. Sorry, but you should have know better than to be transporting alcohol in your vehicle.

As for the case against you, sure, going to court and being able to tell your side helps and may help reduce any sentencing, but don't expect a whole lot. Speak with an attorney in your area for details on what to do to help your case.

redmr2_man

I have an appt tomorrow actually. Thank you for the quick response SPL. Kinda half expected that and I completely agree with you. Live and learn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">