• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtaking Vehicle on Right... On Motorcycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chuyjr1

IL - Overtaking Vehicle on Right (MOTORCYCLE)

This happened in Chicago, IL

I was driving SOUTH on California From Archer. There were no cars on the right side of the road which makes up another lane durring rush hour. This was on a saturday so its not considered rush hour. I went in to that lane and passed a few cars that were in traffic Including a Police Cruiser. I merged back into the left lane when I reached 42nd street since the parked cars started there. I ended up ONE car from the squad car. Those of you who know California know that it has Stop and Cawl traffic since there is another light at 43rd street and two stop signs after that. well after passing 42nd street, the car that was behind me and in front of the squad car nudged my back tire. I turned to look at this guy and he was on his cell phone (illegal in Chicago). I moved a little to the right closer to the parked cars just in case he wasn't paying attention again. Well this a****** drove around me putting me between the parked cars and him. I reved up my engine to make him turn his head but he continued to talk on his cell phone.... The police car flicks on the lights and pulls me over.

I Get off the bike and asked him if he just saw what that car did. He told me to shut up and asked me if I even had a Motorcycle license. I said I sure do.... then he asks for insurance.... I gave him that too. Then he ask, "WHERE IS YOUR CITY STICKER?". Now that I dont have. I told him it was on my other motorcycle and was in the process of transfering (true). He said well Im going to write you a ticket for not having it. I asked him if a certain police officer was working that day since I saw he wasn't going to listen to me. He said he is but he can't help you right now.

A city sticker violation is a Parking Ticket in Chicago. Not a Moving Violation.

So he goes back to the car and I pick up my cell phone to call a friend and tell him I will not be on time since I was pulled over. He storms out of the car and says, "since you want to go over my "EFFIN" head and call (the cop I asked about) now Im going to write you TWO tickets. I was like im not talking to (the cop I asked about). He continues "I dont give a "EFF" about common curtousy (meaning, if you know or are related to a P.O. they treat you with a little more respect),and now your getting TWO tickets!

I asked him for what and he didn't respond... he went back into the squad and was looking for his ticket book, his female partner was visibly disturbed. I could see her telling him to forget it and lets go. but he refused.

When he got out of the car he gave me the Moving Violation for "overtaking vehicle on right" and the parking ticket for the city sticker. I aked him what the moving violation was for... he said, DO YOU WANT MORE???? Then I told him I have a right to know what your citing me for... Then he said, "For what you did over by Archer, you went around the cars on the right."

At that point I just kept my mouth shut so he would just leave. I looked up the law and it states:

625 ILCS 5/11-703
The driver of a 2 wheeled vehicle may not, in passing upon the left of any vehicle proceeding in the same direction, pass upon the right of any vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless there is an unobstructed lane of traffic available to permit such passing maneuver safely.

If I take this to court how can I discredit the officer. I plan on taking a copy of the parking ticket to show that he pulled me over for that.

On another note, he was so hot about the situation that he even put down that we were traveling NORTHBOUND on the ticket. I plan on going to the intersection and taking pictures of the traffic situation on saturdays at that time.

Any advice on handling this case is appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">