• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a valid claim here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Night Hawk

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Late summer 2004: I get estimates from 3 contractors to redo the porch. They all fall between $2500 and $3000. Specifically what was to be completed was a new front porch with steps, a railing along the side and landscaping out front to take the water away from the house. I gave one of the contractors $1000 to get started. 2 weeks later he was given another check for $450 to cover additional materials which he cashed.

Several weeks later he finished. Over the phone I ask him how much I owe him and he tells me he'll "send me a bill." The following weekend when I go up I notice NO steps, NO railing and NO landscaping. I call him and he tells me he'll "get to it."

Spring 2005: Still NO steps, NO railing and NO landscaping and the porch floor has cracked.... and still no bill from the contractor although over the phone he assures me he'll put one together and get it to me.

Summer 2005: STILL NO steps, NO railing and NO landscaping. And so I ask another contractor to pour steps for us which they kindly do. STILL no bill from the contractor.

SEPTEMBER 2005: I receive a bill from the contractor (1 YEAR after he worked on the porch despite repeated requests from me) for $2895 indicating "$620" for materials and "$2275" for labor. The is NO indication of prior payments and credits. ie the $1450 already paid to him. From my experience in dealing with contractors, any and all payments, credits and charges are listed on the bill. So my assumption, based on the bill and based on the estimate(s) is that $2895 represented the total figure for the job. I sent him a reply with a copy of the canceled checks for $1450 as well as an additional check for $1000 saying that we were not prepared to pay him in full for a job that nearly a year later was left unfinished and for which I had to have another contractor complete.

February 2006: I receive a bill from the contractor for $2061.49 OVER AND ABOVE the $2450 already sent to him.

Summer 2006: The contractor personally returns the $1000 check I sent him the Fall of 2005. Saying he does not consider that to be payment in full.

Note: All estimates were verbal, no written contract exists.

And that is where it all stands. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">