• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor In Possesion of Alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Natural

Hello everyone, I'm a sixteen year old from California.

A few months ago I got a ticket for "minor in possesion of alcohol." I recently went to court and received my punishment, and have a few questions.

I got my lisence suspended for two months, I will be fined $100, I need to go to a 5-week drug/alcohol program (8am-4pm), which will cost me $90, and my curfew is 8pm. I also cannot get any tardies or unexcused absenses at my school. I feel that this punishment is extremely unreasonable. I am unable to constantly find rides to and from school (I live with my mom who goes to work at 6am each morning) and I feel that it is affecting my school work.

While I was in the courtroom, there were a few other kids who received the same punishment. Some of them had MIP's for alcohol AND tobacco, and one kid had a Marijuana ticket. They all got the same punishment, and I know that it most likely doesn't matter (and I shouldn't compare myself to them) but I don't understand how they received the same punishment when their crime was much worse than mine.

My question is this: is there anything I can do to get the permission to at least drive to and from school/work?

I understand that what I did was wrong and I'm sorry for it, but I don't want to miss school or be stranded there for a few hours after school (like what happened today).

Please let me know if there is anything I can possibly do. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:

JETX

Natural said:
is there anything I can do to get the permission to at least drive to and from school/work?
Hmmmm... lets see if I have this right... you broke the law and agreed to the punishment for YOUR actions. Now, you think it is too much of a hardship. Correct?

If so, then you need to pay your attorney about $2000 and see if he/she will motion the court for an adjustment in your probation.

Bet you learn your lesson on this one, huh?? :eek:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What do you want? You did the crime, this is the time, and you have to do it. No one can go back and change that.

Natural

Ohiogal said:
What do you want? You did the crime, this is the time, and you have to do it. No one can go back and change that.
I believe I stated clearly exactly what I want. I want to know if it is possible to get a permission from the court to be able to drive to and from school. I knew beforehand that there's almost no chance of this being possible, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

You seem to completely disregard my question, and take the opportunity to try and make me feel bad for something I've already done. I know I did the crime. I know no one can go back and change that. Why can't you answer my question and tell me something I don't know, if you insist on replying to this thread?

CdwJava

Natural said:
My question is this: is there anything I can do to get the permission to at least drive to and from school/work?
Yes. You may petition the court to grant the conditional license. Otherwise, your stuck with the court order.

I understand that what I did was wrong and I'm sorry for it, but I don't want to miss school or be stranded there for a few hours after school (like what happened today).
Some of us rode bikes or took the bus (public transportation) to school and to college ... it CAN be done! It IS possible! In fact. it's a good habit to get in. It forces you to go to bed early, get up early, and gives you study time.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">