• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdenner

What is the name of your state? Kansas
I am trying to help a deaf/mute friend of mine that just purchased a car 30 days ago from a used car lot here in Wichita, KS. The car looks and sounds HORRIBLE. it's a 1991 Grand AM, and he paid $2000. He had the car for 7 days, drove it to another town and there it sits. He had it towed to a mechanic to look at and the mechanic reported in writing, these problems: plug wires and fuel filter needs replaced, cat converter is hollow and exhaust system needs replaced, sway bar link is missing, right lower ball joint is extremely loose, rear of car subframe is rusted in half, can press on the metal with figer and it crumbles, extremely unsafe to drive.
I am going to take him to the car lot today and try to help. It has now been just over 30 days since he bought the car, does anyone have any suggestions on how I should approach this for him. The car is sitting in Kansas City, unable to make it back to Wichita. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Jeff

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
jdenner said:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Jeff
Make sure that your friend knows to have a mechanic inspect a car BEFORE purchasing it on future vehicle purchases.

jdenner

Well, yea, but what about now, since he didn't have anyone look at it, you think there is nothing I can do now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">