• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding 90 in a 70 and suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Griffzan

What is the name of your state? Mi

Just recently I was pulled over for doing 90 in a 70 zone. I hate to say something that sounds like every crimials case but "It wasn't me" I was driving a 2003 GMC cargo van which, unless by some miracle, doesn't get up to 80 without violently shaking, if that wasn't the worst, come to find out my license was suspended. (not currenly, I paid 125 to reinstate it) The state trooper could not explain to me why it was suspended and once I got out of jail and started making calls, found out that I had no outstanding tickets, and still no reason why my license was suspended. When I went to the S.O.S. (Sec of State) I was told that it was because of a driver responsiblity fee and the 125 was added on all the time once the balance was paid off. Which I found out later was a lie a something to shuffle me on my way. After calling the driver responsibility people and find out that my license was suspended because the last payment wasn't posted until after my license was sheduled to be suspended (even though the payment was made electronically before) and that even though I was told that everything was taken care of by the person taking the payment I had no legal recourse because it was a third party collections company and that the person had no right tell me such. ?????? Ok first question, how can I fight this ticket for speeding, the vehicle is capible of getting up to such speeds but god knows what would happen if it was ran for very long that way, and even though I know I was not going that fast how can I prove, without giving the judge a ride in the van, that I was not going that fast? And two: What can I do about the susprension? I've already paid the reinstatment fee (which I feel I should be entitiled to be paid back) and it seems like I was taken for a ride.

cepe10

you can always present video evidence - lots of cameras now will shoot to mpg and you can use a laptop to show the court how the van behaves at 80 mph

better yet challenge the tuning fork calibration (if radar was used) MI has a pretty good lidar program though so it may have been a laser gun - it that case you challenge the external calibration on that.

MI has a big guide on their laser requirements - you can question the LEO (and then ask him why he didn't follow his own guidelines from the MI manual.

a lawyer may be needed on the false arrest issue

the judge may even be sympathetic if you can show that fee and such are bogus and you recieved no warnings or letters about it.

if you need the case law or MI lidar guidelines email me and I'll see what I can dig up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">