• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding 83 in a 65 in NY but MA driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nis14

What is the name of your state? NY and MA

So I was driving today and I get pulled over. The officer puts me down for 83 in a 65. My first question is I am a MA resident will this change my insurance at all?

Second, this is my first speeding ticket, I've had no prior offense before this. The circumstances that I was pulled over is a little weird. I was on empty 2-lane highway (in the right lane) I was going up a crest there were two cars in front of me. A truck that was moving side to side in his lane. So the car in front of me and I decide the pass the truck. As we are passing we go over the crest.

We are both going about 75-80 mph the increase in speed was due to the sudden decline. At this point the truck is right next to me like 2 feet away and the car in front of me is about half a car length away I am basically boxed in. As we go over the crest I see the cop for a fraction of a second parked 90' degrees from me.

My question is could he have tagged me with radar when we were going towards him, I mean I don't see how? I was on the other side of the hill? Doesn't he need line-of-sight for radar to work?

Second could he have tagged me even though I was completely boxed in? Is it possible to be that precise? Could he have gotten the speeds of the other cars?

Final question: What do I do from here? I know I'm going to contest the charge. I'm read a bunch of advice online. Like DELAY YOUR COURT DATE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. 2, ASK FOR CAILBRATION RECORDS.

If it helps the model the cop was using was the Stalker Dual.

Any advice would be awesome.

cepe10

lwpat is more knowledgable on NY - sounds like they have a pretty crooked system -not sure if you even get a trial....

In MD I would seriously tell you to go to court and ask for leniency because the judges hand out probation in almost ever case, and all the courts seem to be kangeroo courts.

I'll be glad to help you with the case law in NY and you can prepare a defense, that unit is on the IACP approved list - the tuning forks are a good target as they are frequently neglected.

cepe10

also the problem in court is going to be the LEO will lie through his teeth to tell the court just what it wants to hear -they know the drill well - he could care less who he got, so unless you have a credible witness your screwed. You can question him and probably cross him up pretty good but the judge already knows he is lying so it just doesn't help much...

extending the date is always good if you can get a continuance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">