• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worker's comp, harrassment or what??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jadel

This message is being written from a user in the state of MI. Working in a public school system and have been there for 15 years. Have certification as an administrator as well as a professional ancillary service provider for special education. For the last two years, have worked only in capacity as administrator. Recently, the district became financially hurt by decreased enrollment. The superintendent decided to cut the person who was filling the ancillary service provider role and informed me that since I was still certified in that area that I would have to pick up that responsibility, in addition to fulfilling the administrative role. Both positions are full-time ( 40-50 hours per week) positions.

This past summer, I was diagnosed with a mental health diagnosis that was symptomatic in physical symptomology as well as psychological symptomology. I have been treated with medication by the psychiatrist since summer to try to ameliorate some of the symptoms. Both the primary care physician and the psychiatrist have written letters stating that for health reasons, I should be responsible for filling only one job role and should have reasonable work hour expectations per week. If this does not happen, they state that it will only exacerbate the symptoms and possibly things will also gecome worse. The superintendent is refusing to relinquish the request and basically is stating that I will be just fine and when there is a crisis, as he feels the budget issue is, that we all must go above and beyond. I am only four years away from retirement. I have had no negative evaluations at all in the 15 years in this district as well as no negative evalautions for the other 10 years worked in another district. I have been able to work successfully with this superior for 14 years, but this issue is creating a serious problem for myself as well as his attitude toward me in the workplace.

I don not feel that I my health should be placed in jeopardy or that I should be forced to attempt to accomplish a lose-lose job situation. While I intend to grieve this decision through available channels, I am also wondering about pursuing an ADA or Section 504 claim as well as retaining an attorney to assist in resolving this situation. Your comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

K

kcarlee2

RE: accommodation

Check with and talk to someone with the EEOC. Also look up information re: disability and accommodation. Its called Job accommodation network. JAN. You may have a psychiatric disability and be able to do something there. If you have another exacerbation of your illness and unable to work you may also qualify under workmans comp. I wish you luck, I am going through similar circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">